Using one tool

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
cusoak
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Shapeoko 3D XXL

Using one tool

Post by cusoak »

I want to do several pockets with a through hole in the middle
The pocket will be .75" in dia .073 deep then in the middle I want to drill a .287 Hole through the .75" thick material
I want to do this with a .25 end mil.
How can I set this up to have the end mil do both operations before moving to the next one.
I think I might need to use the associate the toolpath with an operation, but I not sure.
Thanks Jeff

tomgardiner
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: FMT Patriot 4 x8

Re: Using one tool

Post by tomgardiner »

I would tackle this by first create the vectors required. One .75" diameter circle for the counterbore, and one .287" for the through hole. Toolpath a pocket at the appropriate depth for the C-bore. The second toolpath will be a profile inside the smaller circle and use a spiral ramp.
When you create your drawing assign the circles for the counterbore to their own layer and those for the through to another. You can now use the vector selection filters to quickly select the correct vectors for each toolpath.
Seeing as you are specifying values to .001" you will want to run a test of the through hole and check the dimension. It will require an offset value to achieve the correct size.
When you save the toolpaths you can select both paths and save to one file. The C-bores will be cut first then all the holes. If you want to do one C-bore then hole try merging the toolpaths. I haven't messed with that so I won't advise.

cusoak
Vectric Wizard

Post by cusoak »

So are you saying I can not achive a .287 hole with a .25 end mil without calculating in a offset.
Jeff

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

I think what he means is that you are unlikely to get cuts to the level of accuracy you need (a thousands of an inch) so you will probably need to use offsets to "dial in" the size from the exact sized vectors.

If you want to do all the toolpaths on one part before moving onto the next part then you would definitely need to use the merge toolpath facility.

cusoak
Vectric Wizard

Post by cusoak »

I should have made my self clear. What I am doing making a spoil board with holes for tee nuts I just took the dia of the outer part of the threaded area and used it to make the hole for it to be pushed into
It just needs to be able to be pounded in.
So which video can I find out more about info on using the merge toolpath facility
Thanks Jeff

tomgardiner
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: FMT Patriot 4 x8

Post by tomgardiner »

When I mentioned the offset it was to point out that whenever you cut holes etc. with a CNC you will not get exactly what you draw due to machine flex and material spring back. Your spoilboard project is a good opportunity to tune your skills and dial in precise machining. On the other hand, a generous allowance would be a good idea for stamped out T nuts.

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

cusoak wrote:I should have made my self clear. What I am doing making a spoil board with holes for tee nuts I just took the dia of the outer part of the threaded area and used it to make the hole for it to be pushed into
It just needs to be able to be pounded in.
So which video can I find out more about info on using the merge toolpath facility
Thanks Jeff
Second part of this tutorial covers merged toolpaths - https://support.vectric.com/tutorials/V ... ideo_id=39

If you type what you're interested in into the search box on the tutorial home page (VCarve one here - https://support.vectric.com/tutorials/V ... =1&order=1) then it will show tutorials that match.

adze_cnc
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: AXYZ 4008

Post by adze_cnc »

Instead of a pocket toolpath for the counter-bore you could get away with a profile toolpath --- 0.75" - 0.287" = 0.463" ; 0.463" / 2 = 0.2315" which is well within the size of the 0.25" cutter.

cusoak
Vectric Wizard

Post by cusoak »

Sorry that did not make any sense to me.

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Post by martin54 »

cusoak wrote:Sorry that did not make any sense to me.
I had to read it twice :lol: :lol: Don't think english is adze_cnc first language. Rather than running a pocket toolpath you could run a profile toolpath inside the line for the pocket since the 0.287 inch hole will remove the remaining material in the centre of the pocket :lol: :lol: :lol:

adze_cnc
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: AXYZ 4008

Post by adze_cnc »

martin54 wrote:I had to read it twice :lol: :lol: Don't think english is adze_cnc first language.
This gives me great pain: that you didn't put a :lol: after "first language" to show you don't really believe that. English is indeed my first language.

'Instead of a pocket toolpath for the counter-bore you could get away with a profile toolpath' seems easy enough to understand.

' 0.2315" which is well within the size of the 0.25" cutter' seems easy enough to understand.

' 0.75" - 0.287" = 0.463" ; 0.463" / 2 = 0.2315" ' perhaps arbitrarily inserting these calculations into the flow without context was a poor decision. But having said that it still should be understood.

Steven

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Post by martin54 »

This gives me great pain: that you didn't put a :lol: after "first language" to show you don't really believe that. English is indeed my first language.

Sorry Steven, I put it down to old age & me getting senile :lol: Had it in my head that you were like LGM & were from somewhere like France :oops: :oops:

I guess I did understand what you had said the first time I read it but read through it again checking the math in my head the second time just to be sure :lol:

wmgeorge
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Workbee 1000x750 Mach 4 PMDX Controller

Post by wmgeorge »

I think before I did the "real" job I would do some trial and error on some scrap board. You can learn a lot that way. I used a new bit yesterday and found out what I needed for settings.