Help with spindle indicator

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
Jim_Nestor
Vectric Apprentice

Help with spindle indicator

Post by Jim_Nestor »

Hello all, I have been using a “loud” router on my CNC for many years and am accustomed to the noise. Recently I bought and installed a water cooled spindle with a Huanyang VFD 110 volts 3 phase, which I love and it is VERY quiet. I find myself sometimes wondering if it is actually on, so I rigged up an amber light near the spindle and turn it on when I turn on the spindle to indicate that it is indeed ON. I would like to have the light come on automatically when the spindle is turned because I can see myself forgetting (I’m old). There are many extra wire terminals on the VFD but I don’t know what they are for. I am looking for any ideas that could help me solve this issue. Thanks in advance, Jim
Attachments
1683B9B1-66A8-45CE-9625-BEA5A450ED95.jpeg

wmgeorge
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Workbee 1000x750 Mach 4 PMDX Controller

Re: Help with spindle indicator

Post by wmgeorge »

Jim I have the same issue myself even with my air cooled spindle, as I need hearing aids but do not wear in the shop. :o I have a white line painted vertically on my collet that I use when I get out my photo tachometer. I find myself looking to see if I see a white blur or line standing still. You might try just taping a neon light, a little cheap lamp on the spindle power wires, it may or may not light up with power is flowing.

wmgeorge
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Workbee 1000x750 Mach 4 PMDX Controller

Post by wmgeorge »

It was an air cooled spindle from that outfit out of Chicago and the VFD was Hitachi not Chinese but Japan. Sold all that a year or so ago so a little rusty.

FixitMike
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Shark Pro Plus (retired)

Post by FixitMike »

Reading the manual, it appears that if you set PD 053 to 01, the switch between terminals KA and KB will be closed when the inverter receives the run command. You could use this to turn on a lamp. According to the circuit diagram, the switch is rated 3A250VAC 3A30VDC

I would double check that this is what happens with a continuity tester.

Disclaimer: I have no experience with variable speed drives, this advice is the result of my interpretation of what is in the manual.
Good judgement comes from experience.
Experience comes from bad judgement.