Trying to engrave Curves that are not closed

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
KevinKarney
Model of CNC Machine: Isel CPM 4030

Trying to engrave Curves that are not closed

Post by KevinKarney »

I am new to VCarve. I need to engrave many, many, many complex lines and bezier curves that - by their nature - are not closed vectors. What do I do ??? I fully understand that for pocketing and profiling operations, one needs a closed path. But, for the life of me, I cannot understand why VCarve cannot engrave a single curved line. The most basic Gcode is for such an operation.

The 'Join Vectors' does not do anything and I get 'Ignoring Unsuiitable Open Vectors'

I am using Vcarve Desktop. I attach an image of a small percentage of what I want to engrave

So obviously I am missing some essential trick that must be built into VCarve. Any help would be most appreciated.
Kevin
Attachments
Trying to engrave these...
Trying to engrave these...

NormanAlbert
Vectric Wizard

Re: Trying to engrave Curves that are not closed

Post by NormanAlbert »

Try profile cut on the line. You must specify a depth of cut and the bit being used.

LittleGreyMan
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 3 axis small size machine

Post by LittleGreyMan »

Hello,

V-Carving is a specific toolpath strategy and Vcave is the name of the product, which is very confusing as it provides many other toolpath strategies.

V-Carving requires closed vectors, but as NormanAlbert says, you can simply use a profile toolpath on open and closed vectors. The toolpath will follow them at the specified depth.

Vectric documentation is excellent, and you will save a lot of time studying it. It's very useful and not boring.

You can also access the videos (also excellent) from the customer portal.

Mike has a very clear drawing explaining V-Carving and he will probably post it if he reads this thread.

KevinKarney
Model of CNC Machine: Isel CPM 4030

Post by KevinKarney »

Thank you, Little Grey Man and Albert Norman

I thought the solution would be trivial. And it was! Of course I should have read the documentation - but, as usual, one is in a hurry to get a particular job executed and one makes wrong assumptions.....

FixitMike
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Shark Pro Plus (retired)

Post by FixitMike »

The Help-Help Contents in VCarve and Aspire has a lot of good information concerning the tools and toolpaths.
Good judgement comes from experience.
Experience comes from bad judgement.