CNC Piranha problems

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
sam rizzo
Model of CNC Machine: CNC Piranha

CNC Piranha problems

Post by sam rizzo »

My name is Sam Rizzo &I'm a beginner and need some advice. I have been doing some small carving projects for the last couple months without a problem. Out of nowhere I developed a problem. All the files I download come as a CRV file and I can't make it a bitmap. I just did a simple Happy Birthday and this time it's a tap file. I put it in my flash drive then my pendent. It show up so I did what I always did to start. I turned on the router and started my carving. It went to my center and just dug in and I had to shut down. Burned the wood and bit. Now on my other flash drives with files on it they won't show up on my pendent. I'm totally lost. It seems to me this started happening when I downloaded 9.5
Thanks

Rcnewcomb
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: 24x36 GCnC/WinCNC with ATC

Re: CNC Piranha problems

Post by Rcnewcomb »

Here is the general workflow, where are you having troubles?

Create or load 2D & 3D* Designs in Vectric Software (.CRV files)
Generate Toolpaths and Simulate in 3D in Vectric Software
Export Toolpaths ready for cutting in Vectric Software using the correct post-processor (.TAP file or some other extension used by your machine)
Transfer the Toolpaths to the CNC Control PC
Load Toolpaths into the CNC Control Software
Prepare the Machine with correct Tooling and Material to cut
Run the CNC

You may find more help for your specific setup on the Shark Forum
- Randall Newcomb
10 fingers in, 10 fingers out, another good day in the shop

tomgardiner
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: FMT Patriot 4 x8

Post by tomgardiner »

Have a look at the Post Processor selected. With a new download the PP will not necessarily be the correct one for your machine. While you are at it check to see where the Z-zero is set, top or bottom of workpiece.
There are many settings that we set up once and rarely need to change so they become a potential for problems when installing a new version of the software.

wmgeorge
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Workbee 1000x750 Mach 4 PMDX Controller

Post by wmgeorge »

FYI, Flash or USB drives can be corrupted, not ejecting them from Windows or Mac properly is one cause. Sometimes they are slow to have files Saved and when you pull them out in mid stream it screws things up.

Like RC said, I think all you want on the pendent is gcode files. For your machine they are TAP files and they are gcode files you made and transferred to the USB Drive. Frankly thats all you need.