Vcarve and shapeoko, post processor issues

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro

Vcarve and shapeoko, post processor issues

Postby pixelmechanic » Wed Feb 06, 2019 8:50 pm

I'm trying to do an inlay with Vcarve. I've only used VcarvePro for about a month now. I've been using the available shapeoko post processor that came with vcarve. When I make the clearing cut, everything works fine, but when I change to the final cut with the fine bit and reset the Z axis, it always seems to cut twice the depth in the z axis as it should. I've done similar procedures with other software with no issues. I'm wondering if I'm missing something regarding how the post processor is set up? Any help would be appreciated. I searched for post processor issues and it looks like nobody has had any concerns for 3-4 years.

Thanks

Joel
pixelmechanic

Model of CNC Machine: Shapeoko 3 XXL

Re: Vcarve and shapeoko, post processor issues

Postby Adrian » Thu Feb 07, 2019 9:57 am

The inlay procedure has a toolpath that has a start depth and cut depth so if it's that toolpath you're referring to then it is correct that it cuts deeper than the cut depth as the effective cut depth from the top of the material is the cut depth and start depth added together.
Adrian
Vectric Archimage

Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Postby pixelmechanic » Sat Feb 09, 2019 1:11 am

The start depth is always set to 0. I set it for both the detail and using the larger bit for clearing. Whichever cut I do second, whether it be the clearing or the detail, is always deeper.
pixelmechanic

Postby Adrian » Sat Feb 09, 2019 10:56 am

Are you resetting the z-zero correctly between bit changes? Does the Z move to the correct location if you command it via your control software after the first cut? If not you could be losing steps in the first cut.
Adrian
Vectric Archimage

Postby pixelmechanic » Sat Feb 09, 2019 7:18 pm

I hope so. . .I set it the same way as when I change the bits with the job produced from my other software.
pixelmechanic

Postby Adrian » Sat Feb 09, 2019 8:30 pm

What about the the Z movement? When the toolpath finishes does it return to the same level as when the toolpath started?

I don't see how it can be a post processor issue if it's only affecting one toolpath and not the other. Could you attach the CRV file of the job?
Adrian
Vectric Archimage

Return to VCarve - General