Centering words

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
Robroy
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: AXYZ Pacer 5010

Centering words

Post by Robroy »

I am trying to place text underneath an object. If I go to the "draw text" box and type out what I need to, how do I place it underneath and centered what is already there? I will probably need to resize it also.

Thank you in advance

FixitMike
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Shark Pro Plus (retired)

Re: Centering words

Post by FixitMike »

Once you have typed in the text and placed it on your material, double click on it and there will be handles that you can click and drag to change the size and/or location.
Good judgement comes from experience.
Experience comes from bad judgement.

Robroy
Vectric Apprentice

Post by Robroy »

I do that now. I thought there might be a way to perhaps type in letters and somehow get a snap-line of some sort that will align with the object (pic or text) above. Also would like to center it from the object above and the bottom of the panel.

dwilli9013
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 3 axis Self Designed Self Built

Post by dwilli9013 »

Robroy wrote:I do that now. I thought there might be a way to perhaps type in letters and somehow get a snap-line of some sort that will align with the object (pic or text) above. Also would like to center it from the object above and the bottom of the panel.
There is type in your letter the go to the alignment options on the draw screen pick on your text and hit the center button as on the attached screenshot. There are a number of ways to achieve what you are after. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Attachments
center text.PNG
D-Dub
Dwayne
Dwilli

Robroy
Vectric Apprentice

Post by Robroy »

dwilli9013 wrote:
Robroy wrote:I do that now. I thought there might be a way to perhaps type in letters and somehow get a snap-line of some sort that will align with the object (pic or text) above. Also would like to center it from the object above and the bottom of the panel.
There is type in your letter the go to the alignment options on the draw screen pick on your text and hit the center button as on the attached screenshot. There are a number of ways to achieve what you are after. :lol: :lol: :lol:
I try that, nothing happens. Do I select everything? just the text and the above item?

mtylerfl
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: -CarveWright CNC -ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha

Post by mtylerfl »

Hi Robroy,

Post your file here so we can see what you’re talking about. Alignment procedures are simple and are covered very well in the tutorials and your software owners manual.

Posting your file here will help us give specific advice and see if there is anything particularly unusual you may be running into regarding alignment.

Thanks. Looking forward to seeing your file!
Michael Tyler

facebook.com/carvebuddy

-CarveWright CNC
-ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha CNC

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

If you're centering text (or any other object) to another object the order you select them in is important. The last object in the selection is the one that everything else will be aligned with. If you have only one object selected most of the alignment tools will do nothing apart from the three that align to the material itself.

tomgardiner
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: FMT Patriot 4 x8

Post by tomgardiner »

Try drawing a line from the center of your image above and the border below. Trim length to the space between. Grab and move text to the center of the line. Erase the line.

mtylerfl
Vectric Archimage

Post by mtylerfl »

Robroy wrote:
I try that, nothing happens. Do I select everything? just the text and the above item?
Still looking forward to you posting your file, Robroy.
Michael Tyler

facebook.com/carvebuddy

-CarveWright CNC

Robroy
Vectric Apprentice

Post by Robroy »

I am sorry I couldn't respond earlier, was very busy with work today. I attached the image here. What I would like to do is add braille underneath the word that is there.

What I do now is:
Draw Text option
type in the word stairwell
center align
set text height
click create

Now, I have the braille in the general area under the word stairwell because I moved it there. What I cannot figure out to do is to have it centered aligned under stairwell and then centered from underneath the stairwell and the bottom of the panel.

Thanks again for your help.
Attachments
IMG_2579.JPG

mtylerfl
Vectric Archimage

Post by mtylerfl »

Hi Robroy,

That doesn’t help. It appears to be just a photo of your screen.

Please upload your actual Vectric file you are working with.

Thanks again.
Michael Tyler

facebook.com/carvebuddy

-CarveWright CNC

Robroy
Vectric Apprentice

Post by Robroy »

Sorry, first time doing this. What file are you referring to? the pdf file that I received from client?

Rcnewcomb
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: 24x36 GCnC/WinCNC with ATC

Post by Rcnewcomb »

What file are you referring to?
The .CRV file

If it is over 3MB then you may need to put it on DropBox.com or drive.google.com and share the link here.
- Randall Newcomb
10 fingers in, 10 fingers out, another good day in the shop

Robroy
Vectric Apprentice

Post by Robroy »

I can produce a crv file. The crv file relates to the work intended to be done though correct? How can I produce a crv of a incomplete file?

Sorry for the troubles.

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

The CRV file is that actual VCarve file not the toolpaths. You can save an incomplete job. Just save the file as normal (File menu, Save) with as much as you've done so far and then attach that file.

As far as the actual problem goes what you need to do is to click the text to select it then, while holding down the shift key, click the stairs. Now click the Align Tools icon (last icon under Transform Objects in the Drawing tab) and then click the horizontal align icon which is the first one in the Center section. That should align the text with the stairs.

If you want to align further parts such as the braille just repeat those steps. You could also align the stairs with the panel by selecting the stairs and the panel etc. Best thing to do is to play around with the options of the Alignment tools. It sounds as though you weren't aware that tool existed.