Best V bit for Inlays

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro

Best V bit for Inlays

Postby sm38240 » Sat Jan 26, 2019 2:56 am

All,

I am currently using a 1/4" 60 degree V bit for inlays. I occasionally have tearout or chipping of the edges on my male parts. Often, these tearouts end up buried in the female part and cause no issues, but occasionally they do. Seems the harder the wood, the more prone it is to tear out. A recent piece of purpleheart was unusable due to the tear out. Is there a better bit profile or is this more of a function of my feeds and speeds?

Thanks!

Stan
sm38240

Model of CNC Machine: cnc router parts pro4848

Re: Best V bit for Inlays

Postby Adrian » Sat Jan 26, 2019 9:59 am

I find that v-bits with three cutting edges work better than those with two but a lot of it is down to feed rates etc. With the materials I cut I find it easier to get into the sweet spot with thee cutting edges. Bear in mind that with a v-carve toolpath there are so many short segments and z-movement that the machine will not be physically capable of moving at higher rates so the actual rate may be far below the programmed one. That means that the RPM can often be far too high.
Adrian
Vectric Archimage

Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Re: Best V bit for Inlays

Postby scottp55 » Sat Jan 26, 2019 3:22 pm

Hi Stan,
WAS encountering somewhat similar problems, but to a lesser extant, as I went opposite of Adrian, and used half round 60 degree (.005"flat)Engraving bit from Onsrud(#37-01) as there is no spiral to grab wood, and because of tiny flat the nooks and crannies came virtually flat faster with less or no cleanup required.
With only 1 flute, I could crank my spindle close to or at max rpm(18K).

One thing that most often gave me better results was to reverse the toolpath order to cut the VCarve portion FIRST while it had support of the rest of the wood, THEN large tool for waste.
Lowering my Plunge speed until it sounded good and gave good results worked very well.

And in this Tree example.....Zeroing as normal, then moving my spindle up(say to Start Depth) and rezero'ing Z, and running the VCarve path, THEN lowering and re-zeroing to original Z-Zero,
worked nicely as well.

Haven't done one in 2 years, but may try a very small one with Fine details soon in a slice of Pin Cherry burl, and may order a 45 degree of the same bit, OR go directly to a 30degree Engraving,
so that fine details survive the inevitable sanding on the Tiny details.
Just mentioning;
scott
Attachments
ZEBRA TREE 3.jpg
ZEBRA TREE 4.jpg
ZEBRA TREE CLOSE.jpg
tree original pic.jpg
scott
scottp55
Vectric Wizard

Model of CNC Machine: ShopbotDesktop 5.5"Z/spindle/VCP10

Return to VCarve - General