Tiling question

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
Barry Anderson
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Shark

Tiling question

Post by Barry Anderson »

I am attempting my first sign using tiling toolpaths for a local church. I am using the Times New Roman font. The sign will have 2 lines of text Does someone have a recommended tile overlap .

As always, thank you for your help and advice.

Barry Anderson

Barry Anderson
Vectric Craftsman

Re: Tiling question

Post by Barry Anderson »

This is the first question I have ever asked that did not get a response. I was asked by a local church to make a sign to mount in their entryway. I did not want to make a mistake on the piece of wood they brought that they said was about 100 years old. After experimenting a couple of times on a piece of plywood, I wound up using no overlap. I may try once more with .100. Here's After some frustration to begin with, and lots of head scratching, I decided to stop and cut my grass. I do some of my best thinking riding the mower. . The problem encountered was when I fed the material through the Y axis, the next letters in the next tile moved lower, relative to the letters in the preceding tile. While riding, I determined that the problem was not in the file or toolpath, but had to somehow be in the machine setup. I went back in the shop, and determined that the edge I was using along the y axis was not square to the gantry/spindle. When cutting items out of large pieces that don't rely on the edge being square this is not a problem, but it showed up in a big way while cutting this project, which needed the letters to line up properly. After ensuring the squareness of the gantry/spindle and the edge, I cut another test piece and I am very satisfied. I wanted to share what I learned in hopes of helping someone else. I learn something most every day from experience (mistakes) and from the contributors to this forum. My continued thanks to those that take the time to assist me and others with their wisdom.

Barry Anderson

mtylerfl
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: -CarveWright CNC -ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha

Post by mtylerfl »

Hi Barry,

We would love to see a couple photos, if you have some to post! Sounds like you had a wonderful outcome!
Michael Tyler

facebook.com/carvebuddy

-CarveWright CNC
-ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha CNC

Barry Anderson
Vectric Craftsman

Post by Barry Anderson »

I have tried to upload a photo. The screen says it is uploading and goes to 100% but nothing happens, and the screen goes blank. I wonder if the photo is too large. 2932 KB

Barry

mtylerfl
Vectric Archimage

Post by mtylerfl »

Hi Barry,

I believe the file size limit is 2 megabytes. Your photo is almost 3 megabytes, so you’ll need to reduce it to be able to post. I’m looking forward to seeing your sign!
Michael Tyler

facebook.com/carvebuddy

-CarveWright CNC

ezurick

Post by ezurick »

mtylerfl wrote:Hi Barry,

I believe the file size limit is 2 megabytes. Your photo is almost 3 megabytes, so you’ll need to reduce it to be able to post. I’m looking forward to seeing your sign!
I wish someone on this forum would fix this. This is a daily issue and is absolutely unnecessary. I've ran websites and forums for many years and limiting uploads to 2mb is ridiculous. I can understand the concerns for space.. but this is a VERY small community and you must be registered to upload anything. C'mon Vectric... increase the upload limit to something more realistic and stop this daily torture! Read thru these threads and you'll find we are averaging wasting time and space dealing with the limitation. my 2 cents

TReischl
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 8020 48X36X7 RP 2022 UCCNC Screenset

Post by TReischl »

I do not ever post files directly from a camera.

Pop them in the photo editing software I use (tons of programs out there to do this), resample them down to about 800X600 and post that. Never a problem. A bonus is sometimes my pics are not the best so I use the software to clean them up and improve them.

The way I see it there is no reason to post 3mb pictures on a forum and expect the admin of the forum to pay for increased storage space and traffic. Just my two cents worth.

Another real simple way to do it is to open the picture up on a computer and then take a snip of the picture and post that.

It is pretty darn easy to resize pics these days.
"If you see a good fight, get in it." Dr. Vernon Johns

scottp55
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: ShopbotDesktop 5.5"Z/spindle/VCP11.5

Post by scottp55 »

I agree with Ted
Just because I set the Canon at big pics, Doesn't mean 2 Forums and friends always WANT the Big size!
So just set up a separate folder for resized so I can send forums pics, and friends more than 4 pics at a time.
Imagefap is free, and for basic resize this is what I use for settings for Shopbot/Vectric Forums (BOTH require resize) in Landscape orientation(Portrait is next default size down).
Mine is just a 10 yr old Canon.....Heaven forbid forums allowed a Large Format Camera pics in RAW format....My country internet would Freak!
It's slow enough as it is!
scott
Attachments
2019-10-01 RESIZE FOR FORUMS IRFANVIEW.jpg
I've learned my lesson well. You can't please everyone,so you have to please yourself
R.N.

Barry Anderson
Vectric Craftsman

Post by Barry Anderson »

I have tried to downsize the image. My computer illiteracy is evident. Will post when downsizing is successful.

Barry

Barry Anderson
Vectric Craftsman

Post by Barry Anderson »

I am trying to see if this works. Well, it did. Maybe I'm not as computer illiterate as I thought.

Barry
Attachments
IMG_0396 reduced.jpg

TReischl
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 8020 48X36X7 RP 2022 UCCNC Screenset

Post by TReischl »

Yup, and at 86kbs it was fast to upload and it was fast for all of us to view it.

Nice job!
"If you see a good fight, get in it." Dr. Vernon Johns

scottp55
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: ShopbotDesktop 5.5"Z/spindle/VCP11.5

Post by scottp55 »

Excellent job and a Beautiful piece of wood Barry!!
Congrats! :)
scott
I've learned my lesson well. You can't please everyone,so you have to please yourself
R.N.

mtylerfl
Vectric Archimage

Post by mtylerfl »

Excellent work, Barry! That came out great!
Michael Tyler

facebook.com/carvebuddy

-CarveWright CNC

tomgardiner
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: FMT Patriot 4 x8

Post by tomgardiner »

When I want to accurately place a piece on the bed I first screw scraps of ply down roughly in position and run a toolpath to trim the scrap to perfectly position the workpiece. You can do the same for the y axis straight edge for tiling.

Holzarbeiter
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Camaster Stinger SR24

Post by Holzarbeiter »

Love the sign and the saying, Barry. Very nice job!
Joe

I have a chip on my shoulder....several more in my hair and lots more all over my shop floor.