Tiling issue

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
george.ducharme
Model of CNC Machine: E3 (BobsCNC)

Tiling issue

Post by george.ducharme »

Hi,

I’m working on a life size New England gravestone and due to size I’m using the v-carve tiling option.

I start with tile 1 (pocket) however when I transition to tile 1 v-carve the image is shifted to the right. I’ve attached a screenshot of the tiling manager and path as well as photo of what I am experiencing. I want to upload the file but it is over the max allowed.

Any advice that can be offered would be great.

Thank you!

George
Attachments
Screenshot_Tiling Manager.JPG
Carving.jpg

Stephen50
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Shopbot Desktop

Re: Tiling issue

Post by Stephen50 »

In addition, to the screen shot you may want to attach the tool paths you established for this file. The more advanced individuals and guaranteed I'm not one of them request both items so they determine exactly where the problems at.

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Post by martin54 »

If the file is to large then you can post a dropbox or similar link for people to download, are you sure it has shifted? Have you allowed for the waste material around the outside of the machined area with your pencil lines? Did you maybe move something but then forget to regenerate the toolpaths ?

george.ducharme

Thanks very much the replies. I've uploaded the files to Google Drive (link below). Martin54: I'm not sure. Fairly new at this so I thought visually seeing the paths on top of one another would yield what I wanted when carving. That said I crated the toolpaths, created titles via the Tiling Manager, then saved to gcode (mm).

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1NWP7Y ... LhdW-2QbFj

highpockets
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: PDJ Pilot Pro

Post by highpockets »

George,

I looked at the project and found no problems, I even saved the tiled gcode and looked at in a gcode simulator and found no problems.

At first I thought you might be cutting T1 V-Carve 1 (Pocket) then running T4 V-Carve 1, but that didn't create the exact preview of the problem in the picture. I can't figure out the long horizontal groove on the right came from....

This leaves me to think there is a hardware or setup issue. To prevent wasting another piece of material you might try air cutting the T1 panel. Don't turn on the router/spindle and don't use a router bit.
John
Maker of Chips

george.ducharme

Thanks highpockets. Wondering if it has to do with homing my machine? For the pocket toolpath, I find the center of material, reset zero and start the gcode. For the vcarve toolpath I do the same thing. Next time, upon finishing the the pocket, I will simply run the vcarve gcode via air cutting (thanks for the suggestion!) without finding center and see what happens. Can't get to it until the weekend, but will share my results.

As for the horizontal groove, I can't figure that one out either.

highpockets
Vectric Wizard

Post by highpockets »

George,

When you setup the job on your machine the XY datum must be in the lower left corner of the material because you're using the Tiling option. Once you set the XY datum for the T1 panel you don't have to that for each tool change. You do however need to zero the Z axis for each tool change.
John
Maker of Chips

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Post by martin54 »

When you setup the job on your machine the XY datum must be in the lower left corner of the material

That wasn't something I was aware of but I always use the bottom left hand corner when setting up any job so nothing different for me :lol: :lol:

You only set your X, Y zero once when setting up the material on the machine, after that it should never be altered as highpockets has said. Z axis is obviously different because you will be doing tool changes :lol: :lol:

Not checked your file but does the horizontal trench :lol: :lol: appear in the toolpath preview ? If so could it be something you have selected accidently when calculating the toolpaths. if it doesn't then that is something that might worry me a bit.

george.ducharme

Meant to give a huge "Thank you!" Got it to work.

highpockets
Vectric Wizard

Post by highpockets »

Thanks for the follow up, glad you got it working....

Pictures of the finished job would be great....
John
Maker of Chips

zeighty
Model of CNC Machine: Piranha XL

Post by zeighty »

george.ducharme wrote:Meant to give a huge "Thank you!" Got it to work.
Please provide more details on how you got it working. I am just about to tile my first project and I am researching as much as I can.