use larger area clearance tool

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
ron176
Model of CNC Machine: Stepcraft D.840

use larger area clearance tool

Post by ron176 »

I'm confused. I'm supposed to use a 1/8" ball nose for a profile on the edge of my workpiece and it also requires a larger area clearance tool. When doing this, I only get one toolpath gcode. What is the procedure??? do I load up the 1/4" end mill and run the tool path again??

Not sure == Ron

gkas
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Aspire, Axiom AR8 Pro+, Axiom 4.2W Laser

Re: use larger area clearance tool

Post by gkas »

Upload your crv file so we can determine your problem.

ZipperHead55
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Axiom AR4Pro+ and AR8Pro+

Post by ZipperHead55 »

You should end up with 2 tool paths: the profile (using the larger bit) and the pocket (labeled as "<tool path name> [Pocket]"). Since they are different tools, each has to be saved/ran on their own.

Allan

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Post by martin54 »

If you have filled in the toolpath form correctly then there should be 2 toolpaths in your list, efault names would be pocket 1 for the small bit & pocket 1 (clear) for the larger clearance bit :lol: :lol: When you go to save then (if the save all visible toolpaths option is ticked) if you have both toolpaths selected & use an ATC post processor then they will both save to one gcode file, if you try saving both with a non ATC post processor you should get an error message

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

Really need to see the file as the terminology you've used doesn't match with the type of toolpath I would expect you to be using to have a clearance tool. There is no clearance tool option with a profile toolpath.

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Post by martin54 »

Adrian wrote:Really need to see the file as the terminology you've used doesn't match with the type of toolpath I would expect you to be using to have a clearance tool. There is no clearance tool option with a profile toolpath.
Oh yes, pays the read the original question properly :oops: :oops: missed the profile toolpath in the original & assumed they were using a pocket :lol: :lol: