Trouble At End of Each Toolpath

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
WarrenGlass
Model of CNC Machine: Shark HD 4

Trouble At End of Each Toolpath

Post by WarrenGlass »

At the end of each toolpath the bit travels sideways and up and I want it to go straight up and then move to the next path. What setting(s) do I need to enter or change. This is my first day using the shark HD4 and this software.

mtylerfl
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: -CarveWright CNC -ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha

Re: Trouble At End of Each Toolpath

Post by mtylerfl »

Hi Warren,

Exciting first day with your CNC - congratulations!

I have no idea why your bit isn’t lifting straight up. I don’t know if it has something to do with your software layout, the post processor (make sure you are using the correct one the manufacturer tells you to use), or something to do with how you’ve toolpathed your project.

One excellent way to help us help you, is to post your actual Vectric file here. That way, we can look at that first to eliminate (or find) any issues with your layout and/or Toolpaths.

If your file is too large to post here, then upload it to your DropBox account and post the link to the file here for us to download.

Doing this will help avoid the dreaded “guessing game” of postings!
Michael Tyler

facebook.com/carvebuddy

-CarveWright CNC
-ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha CNC

4DThinker
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CNC Shark Pro, Probotix Meteor 25" x 50"

Post by 4DThinker »

Make sure you don't have any lead-ins set for your toolpaths.

tomgardiner
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: FMT Patriot 4 x8

Post by tomgardiner »

You can access the advanced toolpath menus by checking a box in the upper cell of the toolpath menu. Leads options will be shown about halfway down the column. You can have a lead-in and no lead-out by unchecking the appropriate box.

mtylerfl
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: -CarveWright CNC -ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha

Post by mtylerfl »

Ha! Leads were one of my “guesses”. But, I was hoping to see the file...to avoid guessing...
Michael Tyler

facebook.com/carvebuddy

-CarveWright CNC
-ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha CNC

WarrenGlass

Post by WarrenGlass »

Thank you. File attached.
Attachments
WSS 2 PDF Import 011519.crv
(544.5 KiB) Downloaded 92 times

Rcnewcomb
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: 24x36 GCnC/WinCNC with ATC

Post by Rcnewcomb »

What post processor did you select to save your toolpaths? Selecting the right post processor can make a difference.

It is also possible that the Z has retracted too high and lost position. You could try a more modest setting for Z home and Z1 -- such as 0.5"
VV03.PNG
Use the Vector Validator tool to check for problems with the vectors. It shows there are two troublesome areas.
VV01.PNG
One of the small circles at the 12 o'clock position is essentially duplicated. I would re-draw those as actual circles.
VV02.PNG
- Randall Newcomb
10 fingers in, 10 fingers out, another good day in the shop

WarrenGlass

Post by WarrenGlass »

Thank you for the quick responses. The Z retract was less and I changed it higher and it had no affect.

Where do I find the "Vector Validator"?

I changed the "post processor" to "CNC Shark -USB-3D Contour "inch"". This did fix the problem and a perfect gear was cut.

Which "post processor" should I be using with the Shark HD4 unit? The one listed in the manual is not in the list of choices.

Warren

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

The Vector Validator is the tick icon on the Drawing tab. Have you been to the NextWave support page (makers of the Shark) and checked the downloads page for post processors for your machine?

adze_cnc
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: AXYZ 4008

Post by adze_cnc »

WarrenGlass wrote:I changed the "post processor" to "CNC Shark -USB-3D Contour "inch"". This did fix the problem and a perfect gear was cut.
What post-processor were you using when things didn't cut right?

My immediate thought, after reading your initial post and not reading any of posted follow-ups, was the post-processor didn't have a command to "go straight up" to a safe travelling height without changing X, Y but instead was combining going to the safe Z height and travelling to the next X, Y point.

lsvien
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Shark

Post by lsvien »

I have the original shark and have been using CNCShark-USB_NewArcs_inch.pp for 6 years now. Never had to change. I would recommend that you read the post processor document in the NextWave support section. http://nextwaveautomation.com/Downloads ... n%2011.pdf It explains what is going on with the various post processors they offer. Did the 3DContour file come with the machine or did you download from their site?

Here is a quote from page 8 of their document:
"For toolpaths involving pockets, corners and lettering, using the CNCShark-USB_NewArcs_ post processor is recommended as a starting point. For toolpaths involving 3D components, or where a faster machining still provides results that meet your requirements, the CNCShark-USB_3dContour_ post processor is recommended as a starting point."

It does get down into the weeds a bit but I would recommend you read through it. You are now using a very technical tool and to be a successful operator you also have to become more technical.
Mother Nature always bats last!

WarrenGlass

Post by WarrenGlass »

Thanks for all the quickly supplied information, suggestions and ideas. I do have things working now. Made all seven gears and fourteen parts for my clock. Just got to sand and assemble.
After one person’s question about which post processor I was using I looked back into the tap file and it was the cnc for the piranha. It was the one that was showing and maybe I thought it had chosen the correct one. I did later go to the Next Wave site and found the information and learned that all the current files came with the machine and software and that I just needed to select it. I am learning.