Wrapping stl-files??

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
jaru-eri
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Taig and router, Gecko G540, Mach3

Wrapping stl-files??

Post by jaru-eri »

Can it be possible to wrap an stl-file around another object? And is it also possible to scan a 3D-object like a whale tooth and engrave an stl-file or an ordinary vector image at the surface of the tooth?

gregk
Vectric Staff
Model of CNC Machine: None

Re: Wrapping stl-files??

Post by gregk »

If you create a rotary job, it should be possible to do. You can create the object and then import the STL to wrap around using "Flat model" option. After importing position the component created from the STL on the object surface.

With the whale tooth scan, you should be able to import it and then project the toolpath onto it. I don't have much experience with that though, so hopefully someone who did something similar will be able to share some tips.

I hope that helps.

Greg K

bravesoul
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRT ALPHA 48"x96"

Post by bravesoul »

Rotary jobs are not that much different from a normal flat job, you create your job as a rotary job, enter your dimensions and you are then have a job representing the rotary area as a long flat job with is the same as unwrapping a cylinder. You then import your stl and proceed but instead you will use the x or y wrap processor. I have done this a number of times. A number of people have presented this process on this forum, just search for it, also check out the Vectric rotary tutorials they present this process also: https://support.vectric.com/tutorials/V ... rds=rotary

jaru-eri
Vectric Craftsman

Post by jaru-eri »

What about really 3D objects like the knife handle below? Can that be done in V-carve, or do I need another program?
2.jpg

gregk
Vectric Staff
Model of CNC Machine: None

Post by gregk »

Assuming you have a STL file representing the uncarved handle and only using clipart to decorate it, it should be possible to do it in V-Carve.

Greg K

jaru-eri
Vectric Craftsman

Post by jaru-eri »

The stl-file is for the whole knife handle in one peace, so maybe I need the Cut3D program in order to carve projects like this?