Multi bit cutting

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
seminole`191
Model of CNC Machine: bobs e3

Multi bit cutting

Post by seminole`191 »

How do I do a multi bit cut , starting with the largest bit to the smallest bit without the smaller bits going back over what the larger bits have already cut? Im using desktop.

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Re: Multi bit cutting

Post by Adrian »

Depends on the toolpath. If you're using a v-carve or pocket toolpath with the larger tool clearance option then the toolpaths are automatically generated to take care of that.

If it's a 3D toolpath then you need to create vectors around the areas you want to machine with the smaller bit and then create new toolpaths with the vector selected to limit the scope of the cut.

You really need to provide more information about what you're doing to get a definitive answer.

seminole`191

Post by seminole`191 »

Adrian wrote:Depends on the toolpath. If you're using a v-carve or pocket toolpath with the larger tool clearance option then the toolpaths are automatically generated to take care of that.

If it's a 3D toolpath then you need to create vectors around the areas you want to machine with the smaller bit and then create new toolpaths with the vector selected to limit the scope of the cut.

You really need to provide more information about what you're doing to get a definitive answer.
Im doing all pocket toolpaths. The last carve I did the small bit just went over and over what the larger bit did. Should I start at the smaller bits at the last depth that the last bit left off?

Adrian
Vectric Archimage

Post by Adrian »

Are you running the correct toolpaths? When you create a pocket toolpath with a clearance bit you'll get two toolpaths created. One for the larger bit and one for the smaller bit.

If you could attache the VCarve file (copyright permitting) it would help.

seminole191

Post by seminole191 »

I think I done it right.

seminole191

Post by seminole191 »

Try this
Attachments
SEMINOLE HEAD ESP.eps
(58.22 KiB) Downloaded 111 times

Adrian
Vectric Archimage

Post by Adrian »

No, it's the CRV file with the vectors and toolpaths that is needed.

seminole191

Post by seminole191 »

Not sure what Im doing wrong here with the upload

seminole`191

Post by seminole`191 »

The "EPS" file is the only one that'll load

Rcnewcomb
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: 24x36 GCnC/WinCNC with ATC

Post by Rcnewcomb »

The "EPS" file is the only one that'll load
If the CRV file is too large (i.e. over 3MB) then you can put it on Google Drive or DropBox and then share the link to the file.
- Randall Newcomb
10 fingers in, 10 fingers out, another good day in the shop

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Post by martin54 »

How many toolpaths have you ACTUALLY created by selecting the pocket profile icon ? You should only produce one for each pocket when making your toolpaths, by that I mean you should only select the pocket toolpath icon once. After selecting the icon select the finish (smaller bit) as your tool, make sure use larger area clearance tool is selected (tick box) & then select the larger bit, when you hit calculate you will notice it generates 2 toolpaths, one with the name you used & one with the same name with (clear) at the end. The clear toolpath is the larger tool which will hog out the majority of the material. :lol: :lol:
When you preview, if you only select the smaller tool toolpath for the preview it should only show you the parts that tool actually cuts which will be all the areas the larger tool won't it :lol: :lol: You will have to reset the prieview if you have already previewed the larger area tool for best results of where the small bit machines :lol: :lol:

seminole`191

Post by seminole`191 »

Thank you Adrian,Rcnewcomb and martin54 that worked its amazing what you notice when you slow down and look. LOL :D