Universal Gcode

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
Jonkat
Model of CNC Machine: C beam

Universal Gcode

Post by Jonkat »

Hi,

Does anyone know if when running a program in Gcode and connected to the cnc router, it’s possible to minimise the screen and open Vcarve to access a drawing at the same time.

IslaWW
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CNC Controller Upgrades

Re: Universal Gcode

Post by IslaWW »

Along with that not being a good idea, as you lose focus, and therefore control of the controller, it is dependent on the controller itself. Some will, some wont
Gary Campbell
GCnC Control
ATC & Servo Controller Controller Upgrades
GCnC411 (at) gmail.com

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Post by martin54 »

As Gary says some controllers will & some won't, I would also agree with Gary that it isn't a great idea, what I have & a lot of other people do is have a dedicated computer for control of their CNC, you don't need a particulally high spec computer to run the control software, I actually have 2 computers for this, one in use & the other one set up ready to go as a back up, both machines were old machines that people were chucking out so didn't cost me anything :lol: :lol:
Using a different computer for your design software means there are no problems what so ever en it comes to opening & working on files while the CNC is running :lol: :lol:

Jonkat
Model of CNC Machine: C beam

Post by Jonkat »

Thanks guys,

Martins idea seems the way to go.

Jim_in_PA
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Camaster Stinger II SR-44 (MacOS user)

Post by Jim_in_PA »

I will admit to doing exactly this with some level of frequency, but I also agree that overall, it's not necessarily the best idea. I don't do it when running something new or complicated, however, as that's exactly the time when paying attention to the machine is very important. Most of my design work is done in my office in my house on my Mac, but sometimes I find the need to tweak or make changes while I'm waiting for something to run...and leaving the shop is a worse choice than multitasking on the one machine in the shop.

Leo
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 1300 x 1300 x 254 Chinese Made

Post by Leo »

My CNC machine also runs on a DEDICATED computer. That CNC computer does not have ANY other programs on it.

Also good idea to set sleep mode to never, disable any screen saver, or background slide shows.

Get that computer as BASIC as possible. NOTHING running in background - NOTHING.

The ONLY thing that computer should do is run the CNC machine.

LOWEST end computer Win 7 (even XP) or less, minimal RAM, minimal CPU.
Imagine the Possibilities of a Creative mind, combined with the functionality of CNC

rig gap
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Home built aluminum and steel 3 X 4 CNC

Post by rig gap »

Same here...I run an XP computer with nothing but the operating system and Mach3 control software...no internet program either, and I've had zero problems with my setup...but like Martin, I have a spare XP computer configured and ready just in case.