toolpaths

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
David Tolley
Model of CNC Machine: workbee

toolpaths

Post by David Tolley »

Hi All

Newby question regarding toolpaths in vcarve.

I have designed an emblem for our local scouts, basically the scout fleur de lys emblem with the group name on it.

Top txt - good no issues

Outer profile cut - OK though the cut does take of the angle of the overlapping letters.

Inner profile cut outs - not good - this is taking out the angle of the overlapping letter, which I don't want it to do where they go over the holes. if I adjust the Off set that I assume will alter all of the off sets not just the ones I want.

Please see attached PDF it may make more sense.

Many Thanks

Dave
Attachments
scout emblem - Copy pdf.pdf
(1.09 MiB) Downloaded 109 times

adze_cnc
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: AXYZ 4008

Re: toolpaths

Post by adze_cnc »

How would you need to edit the vectors for the fleur-de-lys, the stars, etc. to make sure that the toolpaths not remove the chamfers of the letters?

FixitMike
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Shark Pro Plus (retired)

Post by FixitMike »

If the lower level carving is with a V bit, you need to set the start depth at zero. Otherwise, the overhang on the V bit will cut into the upper level carving.
Good judgement comes from experience.
Experience comes from bad judgement.

David Tolley
Model of CNC Machine: workbee

Post by David Tolley »

Hi Both

I probably didn't explain my self correctly.

The top txt is cut using V carve and a flat clearance tool - no issue

The outer profile is cut with a flat cutter straight the way through - no real issue this is removing the V on the letters that it passes as I have not offset the cut which I don't really mind.

However when I programmed the inner cuts the stars etc it again did not take the V of the letters into account which I assumed it would do as when I did the tool path I ticketed the associate other toolpath box.

I've since had another play and adjusted the cuts to that layer via node editing.

Not perfect but it does the job.

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

Not sure what you mean by "associate other toolpath box". The toolpaths (with the exception of those that are created when using the large clearance option) know absolutely nothing about each other. It's down to the person creating the toolpaths to make sure they don't remove wanted material by adjusting the vectors, offsets etc.