document variables

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
David Tolley
Model of CNC Machine: workbee

document variables

Post by David Tolley »

Hi All

I've been viewing the vectric stacked letter tutorial and have created my first test piece. As per the video I wish to have this as a template so I'm following the instructions, as you would.

However when I try to do document variables it doesn't appear to recognise this instruction??

I go to edit- document variables -enter name in this case one being TD the other being BD both with the their individual cut depths 3.00mm & 5.00mm.

No problem so far. but when I try to use them - select Vcarve option - start depth 0.0 flat depth (TD) for the top layer. I get a message that reads flat depth must be greater than zero if creating a flat bottom?

Having checked the tutorial several times now I can't understand why its not picking up the 3.00mm depth as per the document variable/

Many Thanks

adze_cnc
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: AXYZ 4008

Re: document variables

Post by adze_cnc »

Help file says: {TD}
You say: (TD)

Might want to double-check that.

--
Creep, crawl, toddle, walk, run

Best answer for a simple question? Help > Help Contents

David Tolley
Model of CNC Machine: workbee

Post by David Tolley »

Thank you - worked a dream

Next Question can you change the amount of passes the cutter makes during the flat removal? I'll be working with Oak and want ti make two passess so I don't over work the cutter.

MAny THanks

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

You can control the number of passes via the pass depth setting on the tool itself or by using the Edit Passes button in the toolpath. Unfortunately you can't control either of those via expressions (that I know of) so it has to be an absolute value.

FixitMike
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Shark Pro Plus (retired)

Post by FixitMike »

The number of passes used by the Vbit for flat removal in VCarve toolpaths is a function of the tool Final Pass Stepover value entered. A smaller value makes more passes and a smoother flats.
Good judgement comes from experience.
Experience comes from bad judgement.

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

I was assuming we were talking about removing flat areas in a pocket toolpath or v-carve toolpath with an end mill?