creating a complex raised outline of object

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
spostma
Model of CNC Machine: shark

creating a complex raised outline of object

Post by spostma »

I am trying to make a wood printing block. I have a drawing of a shell, exported from photoshop as jpg (shell line test.jpg). When I bring that into vcarve, use the trace option and create a pocket toolpath, that appears to show a consistent width line in the shape I want (see toolpath.png). But when I run the job, the line width varies greatly (see block.jpg).

What is the correct or best way to get a consistent raised line 1/16 thick in any shape that I want?

Thanks for your help.
Attachments
shell line test.jpg
block.jpg
toolpath.PNG
shell 1 wide on right when carved.zip
(1.52 MiB) Downloaded 121 times

ger21
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Custom DIY

Re: creating a complex raised outline of object

Post by ger21 »

My guess is that your machine lost steps at some point, as the toolpaths look fine.
Gerry - http://www.thecncwoodworker.com

spostma
Model of CNC Machine: shark

Post by spostma »

I dont think that is the case. This is the second time it has happened. I created a new job, with a smaller size, for examples shown. The first run had the same result as this one.

Is there a way to draw a single vector and designate it as the high point as opposed to multiple vectors with unmachined space between them?

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

If the cutout doesn't match the preview then your machine is flexing or the bit is flexing or the control software is incorrectly configured or an axis is binding and losings steps or an axis is hitting its limits and losing steps or the feedrate is too high or the pass depth is too deep etc etc etc.

Basically the issue is downstream of your vectors and toolpaths. Changing the vectors isn't going to solve the fundamental issue of your results not matching the preview. Looks like you're using a single bit rather than a clearance tool and detail bit. How big is the actual piece? What size bits are you using?