Problems with vectors vcarve pro

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
terry1956
Model of CNC Machine: sieg x1

Problems with vectors vcarve pro

Post by terry1956 »

Hi. I am having a problem trying to make a toolpath. I have imported a STL file into vcarve pro. Set up the material etc and the tool. My first of three toolpaths needs to be a drilling one. But when I click on a hole to start the toolpath it outlines pink, but when I try to link a second hole the first one unlinked. If I press the button U and try I get the whole profile vectors to go pink. What am I doing wrong. I need all the small holes in the first drilling toolpath, and then all the larger ones in the second and then the cut out profile in the last tool path. Hope there is an easy fit. Does anyone know of a check list I can use to find the fault. Thanks.

laflippin
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Axiom AR 8 Pro+

Re: Problems with vectors vcarve pro

Post by laflippin »

Hi Terry,

When you need to select multiple ungrouped vectors at the same time, need to hold down the "shift" key while you mouse-click on them. Also, if the cursor does not land correctly on some part of the vector you are trying to select, your last highlighted vector will be unselected when you click.

scottp55
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: ShopbotDesktop 5.5"Z/spindle/VCP11.5

Post by scottp55 »

IF manually selecting the different size holes gets to be a pain...The circle resize gadget all holes of a diameter selected so you can put them on a separate layer...and then use automatic vector selection in the toolpath with that particular layer selected?
Helped me a ton when a file got away from me a couple times back when I first started :)
scott
OH, and "drilling" by using the Profile toolpath with a Spiral ramp, can often mean the same bit can do a wide size of holes without changing the bit.
Attachments
SW FENCES AND WEDGES FOR INSERTS 2.jpg
Bill Ys wedging top with threaded inserts.jpg
Last edited by scottp55 on Tue Dec 18, 2018 5:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I've learned my lesson well. You can't please everyone,so you have to please yourself
R.N.

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Post by martin54 »

The use of layers often helps with jobs like this, you could have seperate layers for your model, the 1st set of holes you need to drill & then the second set of larger holes.
Then you can select your vectors to drill by layer, the box is just above the calculate button click on the tab that says selector :lol: :lol:

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

As long as they are proper circles use the Vector selection part of the toolpath to automatically select the circles of the right sizes. Creating them on layers to start with and then associating the toolpaths with those layers is definitely a good practice to get into to as it makes things so much easier.

terry1956
Model of CNC Machine: sieg x1

Post by terry1956 »

Thanks, that worked. Terry