Single line monospace font

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
kstrauss
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Tormach PCNC770

Single line monospace font

Post by kstrauss »

I need a single line monospace (all characters the same width) font. Nothing suitable seems to come with Vcarve. Any suggestions regarding where to get such?

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Re: Single line monospace font

Post by Adrian »

The single line fonts can't be added to so you'd need to use a true type font that is setup to look like a single line font. Drawback with those is that they take longer to machine as the vectors loop over themselves unless you convert to curves and remove the overlaps at which point you lose the ability to modify the text.

If you do a google search for "single line engraving fonts" there are a lot to choose from. The ones I've used in the past (pretty sure there is a monospaced one in there) are http://www.mrrace.com/other software_Fonts/

SteveNelson46
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Camaster Stinger 1

Post by SteveNelson46 »

In Aspire, (I think the fonts are the same in V-Carve) the first font in the list of single line fonts (AvCO) appears to be mono-spaced. Not very fancy though.
Steve

kstrauss
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Tormach PCNC770

Post by kstrauss »

Thanks for the tips.

pknvectric
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: Camaster Cobra & StingerI

Post by pknvectric »

I've installed the other software fonts but Vectric will not work with them... It has something to do with Vectric seeing the text as open vectors... See attached images.

When I change to another font it works fine (but I need/want a single line font).

I'm running Aspire 9.516

(Update: When I changed ALL the fonts to something other than other software the "open and duplicate vectors" messages disappeared.)
Cambam does not work.png
Font which works.png
Open and dup vectors - there are fewer of these when font is converted to regular font.png

Rcnewcomb
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: 24x36 GCnC/WinCNC with ATC

Post by Rcnewcomb »

Try the quick Engrave toolpath.
- Randall Newcomb
10 fingers in, 10 fingers out, another good day in the shop

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Post by martin54 »

What toolpath are you using? The vcarve toolpath will not work with open vectors, you need to use the profile toolpath & cut on the line r use the engraving toolpath as has been said :lol: :lol:

Adrian
Vectric Archimage

Post by Adrian »

pknvectric wrote:I've installed the other software fonts but Vectric will not work with them... It has something to do with Vectric seeing the text as open vectors... See attached images.

When I change to another font it works fine (but I need/want a single line font).
Are they actual fonts or are you importing the text as vectors? It shouldn't be possible to create truetype fonts with open vectors as far as I know which is why I'm asking.

As has been said you need to use a profile toolpath to cut them and that would be true with the 1L single line fonts in VCarve as well.

pknvectric
Vectric Apprentice

Post by pknvectric »

Yes, they are true fonts. I did not realize a V-carve tool path was unable to carve open vectors. (And I'd never had a purpose to use a Quick Engraving Toolpath before - now I know....)

I suppose this comes in handy when you import a BMP w/ lots of open vectors so you can still carve them without wasting time (as I've done in the past) deleting/closing all open vectors.
Thanks to all!

pknvectric
Vectric Apprentice

Post by pknvectric »

Update / add'l question:

My next step was to carve some dimensions but when I attempt this I receive a "No vectors selected" warning.

What is the best / fastest way to carve dimensions???
Attachments
Screen Shot 2019-03-26 at 10.25.25 AM.png

Adrian
Vectric Archimage

Post by Adrian »

The dimensions are for printing or display. They can't be toolpathed. You would need to create your own vectors for that purpose.