How to make a round Job Size?

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
mikenbrenda
Model of CNC Machine: Shapeoko 3 XXL

How to make a round Job Size?

Post by mikenbrenda »

I'm new could not find it in serve or I'm using the wrong search idea, but instead of square job's can I make a round job, like a circle instead of square? I'm having a hell of a time trying to carve on a round seat, i do it in square and it always comes out off, even though i correctly find the center of the circle I am working on.. not cylindrical.. Round and flat like a seat of a bar stool

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Re: How to make a round Job Size?

Post by martin54 »

If you are using the centre of the material for your X, Y, datum & you have accurately set the machine to this point then it shouldn't make any difference what shape your material is, if you are off with a sqare shape for your material sep up then you are going to be off with a circle as well :lol: :lol:

What does the toolpath preview look like when you run it? Can you post the file & some pictures or if you can't post the file for copyright reasons then a screenshot of the toolpath preview & what you are actually getting when carving :lol: :lol:

When you do the design I am guessing you draw a circle the same size as the stock you are working on, are you making sure that is centred in the square material block? When you add other parts to the design how are you aligning them?

mikenbrenda
Model of CNC Machine: Shapeoko 3 XXL

Post by mikenbrenda »

ok, so there is no way to make a round project on VCarve i take it, I did make a circle, I figured out the problem, the design is circular also and it was off just a tad, hard to measure with the letters being circular the way they played it out, the one i picked was not the furthest point...thanks for the help.

ger21
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Custom DIY

Post by ger21 »

ok, so there is no way to make a round project on VCarve i take it,
No, but technically, a round job is no different than a square job of the same size.
Say you have a 10" diameter round job. Everything would be in the exact same place if it were a 10"x10" square job.
Origin, vectors, toolpaths,.... Everything.
Gerry - http://www.thecncwoodworker.com

Leo
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 1300 x 1300 x 254 Chinese Made

Post by Leo »

mikenbrenda wrote:ok, so there is no way to make a round project on VCarve i take it,.
That is not even remotely correct,

There are no limitations to the shape of the PROJECT you can make

the MATERIAL however is always going to be square

If I make a CAD drawing of a round project, it would be on a rectanglar piece of paper, If I did a pencil drawing it would be on a rectangular paper,

If I drew a circle on a square piece of paper and used sizzors to cut is out it would be round, or any shape I choose.

Same here - - the material is just a piece of paper. You will cut it out in any shape you desire.
Imagine the Possibilities of a Creative mind, combined with the functionality of CNC