Vcarve changing post processor from inches to metric

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
sm38240
Model of CNC Machine: cnc router parts pro4848

Vcarve changing post processor from inches to metric

Post by sm38240 »

I am using Vcarve Pro 9.5.11 and have had this happen at least twice. First time I thought I had inadvertently made the change but not this time. I built out a simple model, all in inches. Ran it and it worked fine. Ran the same model again in a mirror image generating new g-code. G-code output in metric and the post processor had been changed from a CNC Router Parts (inches) to a CNC Router Parts (mm). I did not make the change, so something is changing the post processor, somehow.

What am I missing here?

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Re: Vcarve changing post processor from inches to metric

Post by martin54 »

There is nothing in the software that would automatically change the post processor, no settings or options you can select. No idea why this is happening to you, it is obviously not a general problem because if it were the forum would be full of posts about it.
Best thing I can suggest is you send the file to Vectric support & ask them to have a look at it.
It doesn't matter what units you use to design, inches or mm the software will not select a post processor automatically based on that :lol: :lol: :lol:

LittleGreyMan
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 3 axis small size machine

Post by LittleGreyMan »

Hello,
Search the docs for MyPostP and follow the instructions. This will probably help you selecting the right post-processor without mistake.
Best regards

Didier

W7 - Aspire 8.517

mohamed
Vectric Staff
Model of CNC Machine: Craft CNC DS1

Post by mohamed »

The only thing I can think would change it is the migration if you run it. Were you greeted with a dialog in startup to migrate from V8.x in between? If you click ok, this would set the previous default post-processor
--------------
Mohamed
++++++++

sm38240
Model of CNC Machine: cnc router parts pro4848

Post by sm38240 »

Thanks for the insight, but I don't think that is the case. This has happened three times. First two times, I figured, being new to Vcarve/Mach 3/etc that I had inadvertently switched processors. But to do so, you have to purposefully go in and open the dialog box and select a different post processor. I guess it is possible that as I mouse down to save the G-code, I could possibly end up making an unwanted change, but that would be random, and I think I would notice. Each time, the post processor is changed from the CNCRP4848Pro (inches) to the mm verion. Still CNCRP, just metric. I will keep monitoring to see if I can replicate what is occurring.

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

Do you have a wheel mouse? If so you might be moving the wheel as the drop down is the default control when the Toolpath Save form is open. Moving the wheel when that form is open would cause the post processor to change.

If you follow the My_PostP recommendations then that would stop it from happening as you would only have one post processor in the list to choose from.

Greolt
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: UCCNC Router, Plasma, Laser

Post by Greolt »

Never seen this issue. Strongly doubt the software is changing the PP on its own. Never the less strange things happen sometimes in life.

Most users will only use one non-wrap Post Processor for their machine. Take that one PP that you use, (or multiples if needed) and place them in the folder called My_PostP

That way, only the one you use will show up in the PP selection drop-down list.