I'm sure there's an easy explanation - ungrouping a vector

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
injected
Model of CNC Machine: 4x8 Laguna Swift

I'm sure there's an easy explanation - ungrouping a vector

Post by injected »

I have searched and cannot seem to find an answer as to why this vector won't ungroup. Only thing I can tell you is I got it as an eps file and now it is .crv. Does that matter? I have tried selecting > right click> ungroup. I also tried using the ungroup button.

Maybe someone could tell me if I even need to ungroup. I need to recreate the side arcs and add a set approx .300 inward so I can add a toolpath that removes half the thickness along the edge so it will accept a pre manufactured edge trim.

Thanks Chris
Attachments
ungroupvectorsCapture.JPG

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Re: I'm sure there's an easy explanation - ungrouping a vect

Post by Adrian »

You really need to attach the actual CRV VCarve file so the vectors can be inspected.

If it's a grouped vector then it will have a solid colour appearance when you select it. If it's not then it will have a dashed line appearance but it may be several open vectors. You can use the Vector Validator tool to check the vectors.

It might be that you're misunderstanding what ungrouping means. It's not the same thing as exploding. To break a closed vector down into segments you have to node edit it.

injected

Post by injected »

Adrian wrote:You really need to attach the actual CRV VCarve file so the vectors can be inspected.

If it's a grouped vector then it will have a solid colour appearance when you select it. If it's not then it will have a dashed line appearance but it may be several open vectors. You can use the Vector Validator tool to check the vectors.

It might be that you're misunderstanding what ungrouping means. It's not the same thing as exploding. To break a closed vector down into segments you have to node edit it.
Do I just upload the file as I would a photo? I'm not real wild about putting my file on the net. It took significant time and money to acquire.

I don't see any tutorial for exploding. I searched nodes on the tutorial page but the vids don't really apply, the lady is creating ribbons. I don't want to come off as the typical forum goer that wants everything handed to them. I really am trying to learn this stuff on my own. It just seems as though most of the tutorials are for creating simple wooden displays and not a lot of reverse engineering. I used the vector validator and it reported 4 zero length spans (no idea what those are) and I hit fix.

Sooo, do I just need to find some more videos on node editing?

adze_cnc
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: AXYZ 4008

Post by adze_cnc »

Can you post a file containing just the troublesome vector and none of the artwork you are concerned about keeping out of the "public domain"? i.e. make a duplicate of the CRV file and remove everything that isn't this vector.

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Post by martin54 »

I bet that is just one closed vector which is why it won't ungroup, as Adrian has said click on it & if it is a group of vectors it will have a solid outline colour, if it is a single vector the outline will be dashed rather than solid :lol: :lol:

You should be able to offset the vector inwards & then node edit the offset vector to just leave the part of it you need :lol: :lol:

Guessing there is a lot more to this project than what you have shown if you paid a lot for it :lol: :lol: Doesn't look like there would be any harm just posting this one bit so you could copy it. start a new file & copy this part to the new file & just post that bit if you can't work it out for yourself :lol: :lol:

It's pretty simple to node edit if you are just deleting nodes & spans even if you have no expereince with it, have a look at the node editing quick tutorials in the tips & trick section :lol: :lol:

http://support.vectric.com/tips-and-tricks/select.php

FixitMike
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Shark Pro Plus (retired)

Post by FixitMike »

Some operations (for example the distort tool) leave vectors as objects like text that can't be grouped.

Select and then Right click on the vector and see if the "Convert to Curves" option is offered. If so, do so and then you should be able to group or ungroup.
Good judgement comes from experience.
Experience comes from bad judgement.

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

injected wrote:
Adrian wrote:You really need to attach the actual CRV VCarve file so the vectors can be inspected.

Do I just upload the file as I would a photo? I'm not real wild about putting my file on the net. It took significant time and money to acquire.

I don't see any tutorial for exploding. I searched nodes on the tutorial page but the vids don't really apply, the lady is creating ribbons. I don't want to come off as the typical forum goer that wants everything handed to them. I really am trying to learn this stuff on my own. It just seems as though most of the tutorials are for creating simple wooden displays and not a lot of reverse engineering. I used the vector validator and it reported 4 zero length spans (no idea what those are) and I hit fix.

Sooo, do I just need to find some more videos on node editing?
Just attach a file with the shape you had in the picture. There's nothing more than that needed. Use the upload attachment button.

There are many videos covering the topic. There is even one named Banners and Ribbons which would seem to fit the bill. All the drawing videos cover node editing to some extent and there is a series of videos in the Tips and Tricks section that covers in it even more detail. Log into your portal account or go to http://support.vectric.com to see the full range.

If you do want to explode the vector into spans then you can use the Explode Vectors gadget on the Gadget menu.

injected

Post by injected »

martin54 wrote:I bet that is just one closed vector which is why it won't ungroup, as Adrian has said click on it & if it is a group of vectors it will have a solid outline colour, if it is a single vector the outline will be dashed rather than solid :lol: :lol:

You should be able to offset the vector inwards & then node edit the offset vector to just leave the part of it you need :lol: :lol:

Guessing there is a lot more to this project than what you have shown if you paid a lot for it :lol: :lol: Doesn't look like there would be any harm just posting this one bit so you could copy it. start a new file & copy this part to the new file & just post that bit if you can't work it out for yourself :lol: :lol:

It's pretty simple to node edit if you are just deleting nodes & spans even if you have no expereince with it, have a look at the node editing quick tutorials in the tips & trick section :lol: :lol:

http://support.vectric.com/tips-and-tricks/select.php
Thanks Martin, I will try the offset route. What you see is the final route pattern. Though it is not complex, it took us many hours to reverse engineer the part from a formed part that had also shrunk during the thermoform process.

Also, when I select the vector it is a continuous purple dashed line.

LittleGreyMan
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 3 axis small size machine

Post by LittleGreyMan »

Hello,
injected wrote:Also, when I select the vector it is a continuous purple dashed line.
So it's a single vector as Adrian explained.

You have another solution than the offset Martin suggested, just choose the one which seems the clearest for you. You can use an allowance in the toolpath parameters to get a 0.3 inward cut. In this case, make it appear in the toolpath name as it won't be visible in the project window unless you display the toolpath in solid mode. And it may not be noticeable depending on the scale.

In both cases, don't forget to check the result with the preview toolpath feature which simulates the cut.
Best regards

Didier

W7 - Aspire 8.517