Carve Desktop carving a Record album

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
mikenbrenda
Model of CNC Machine: Shapeoko 3 XXL

Carve Desktop carving a Record album

Post by mikenbrenda »

I am trying to work in Carve Desktop to Carve an Vinyl album for a Barber friend of mine, and some of the details in the SVG file are a little buggy looking in the preview, one a comb and a brush, the brush isn't so bad it's the comb, I offset the graphic and still can't get the detail I'm using Engrave 1/16 bit.

Any Hints and tips from people that have actually done them? i'm sure a simple design will work fine, but i do see people doing them on CNC with intricate designs.

Thanks for any help

bravesoul
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRT ALPHA 48"x96"

Re: Carve Desktop carving a Record album

Post by bravesoul »

I create a ruler on one of my items using a 30 deg V bit.... Don't need to go deep, .004 is all I go.

Joe

mikenbrenda

Post by mikenbrenda »

The album has to be cut though however as it cuts a design from it, the album is .0655 thick.. I am not Carving it, I am cutting it thru

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

Depends what you mean by buggy? Is it a bitmap that you've traced or a vector graphic? If it's traced have you zoomed in and cleaned up it via node editing? Have you used the solid preview to make sure the bit can fit in the areas you expect it to?

mikenbrenda

Post by mikenbrenda »

I said it is was an SVG file Vector Graphic is what that means Scalable Vector Graphics (SVG) is an XML-based vector image, image is fine...I just don't think Carve shows up that small of a bit in it's Preview

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Post by martin54 »

mikenbrenda wrote:I said it is was an SVG file Vector Graphic is what that means Scalable Vector Graphics (SVG) is an XML-based vector image, image is fine...I just don't think Carve shows up that small of a bit in it's Preview
An SVG file like a PDF or EPS file can be made up of either vector or bitmap info or a combination of the two so your brush & comb could easily have been bitmaps :lol:

Would you be able to post the file? it is often easier to answer questions if you can see the actual file, or if it contains copyright material then a screenshot or two is the next best thing.

What resolution have you got the toolpath preview set to ? Setting it to a higher resolution may help you see things a bit more clearly although it may slow your computer down a bit depending on the specs.
Not sure I understand what bit you are using, you say engrave 1/16" bit, what do you mean by that?? :lol: :lol:

mikenbrenda

Post by mikenbrenda »

I said 1/16, it's a single flute they use to cut albums so they don't melt, I mentioned size because that's what Vcarve, I will check the Resolution and post a pic later as it is a copy righted that i bought, the teeth in the comb don't show up the length of them even with an offset, i might have to use Both in and out offset I'm thinking

LittleGreyMan
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 3 axis small size machine

Post by LittleGreyMan »

Hello,

As Martin suggested, check the toolpath preview resolution.

I guess you have an issue with the teeth of the comb, right?

In the 2D view, did you activate the 2D toolpath drawing to check if the toolpath cuts what you're expecting?

Is the mill small enough to cut between teeth? You didn't answer Adrian's question. As Martin, I don't understand what kind of mill you use: engraving or end mill?
Best regards

Didier

W7 - Aspire 8.517

mikenbrenda

Post by mikenbrenda »

It is a 1/16 Single Flute End Mill as i sated in the previously ...Engraving bit is not single flute. And yes have an issue with the teeth on the comb and a little on the Brush

LittleGreyMan
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 3 axis small size machine

Post by LittleGreyMan »

OK for the end mill (in the first post you wrote "I'm using Engrave 1/16 bit").

You didn't post a screenshot, give little information and didn't answer other questions so it's difficult to be of any help.
Best regards

Didier

W7 - Aspire 8.517

JimmyD
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRSalpha, custom rotary indexer

Post by JimmyD »

This may be what you are trying to do. This was cut with a 1/16" single flute bit (see photo).
I did lots of experimenting with feeds and speeds. Record is 0.060" thick and is held in place on a custom vacuum fixture that uses a shop vac.

This was cut at 8000 rpm, 0.55 inches/sec, pass depth of .034", conventional. I've cut lots of different designs on lots of different vintage records.
Your feed and speed may need to be adjusted depending on the thickness/chemistry of the vinyl or shellac.

Jim
Attachments
record-dancing couple - cropped.JPG
IMG_20181124_130830129_2.jpg
IMG_20181124_131316120.jpg

mikenbrenda

Post by mikenbrenda »

yes thats exactly what i am doing, and I have the same bit, here is the image to show you what i am wanting to carve, would love to know how to make that vacuum table
Attachments
D7147895-2DCF-4605-806C-8B55BA4C12C0.jpeg

JimmyD
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRSalpha, custom rotary indexer

Post by JimmyD »

The box is just a plywood box, with supports on the inside and a piece of mdf on top for the vacuum to pull through. All of the plywood was selaed with shellac so that no vacuum would be wasted pulling through it. the mdf is attached with glue only to avoid any metal fasteners and to allow easy replacement after it gets milled down repeatedly.

You'll find that you need to have weights to attach to the rear of the record in order for the assembled record/clock to hang straight. The weights offset the weight removed when you cut the record. I used 1/4 oz automotive weights with adhesive tape pre-installed from Amazon.

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Post by martin54 »

mikenbrenda wrote:It is a 1/16 Single Flute End Mill as i sated in the previously ...Engraving bit is not single flute. And yes have an issue with the teeth on the comb and a little on the Brush
Half round engraving bits are single flute, (they only have one cutting edge) which is why I wasn't sure about the bit you were using.

What does your toolpath preview look like? If you are having problems with the teeth on the comb the problem could be that the endmill is to large to fit between the teeth on the comb, if you post a screenshot it would make it easier for people to offer help.

You will need to do some experimenting cutting yourself, although JimmyD has given spped & feed settings they are for his machine & yours is very different so those settings might not work well for you.

mikenbrenda

Post by mikenbrenda »

JimmyD wrote:The box is just a plywood box, with supports on the inside and a piece of mdf on top for the vacuum to pull through. All of the plywood was selaed with shellac so that no vacuum would be wasted pulling through it. the mdf is attached with glue only to avoid any metal fasteners and to allow easy replacement after it gets milled down repeatedly.

You'll find that you need to have weights to attach to the rear of the record in order for the assembled record/clock to hang straight. The weights offset the weight removed when you cut the record. I used 1/4 oz automotive weights with adhesive tape pre-installed from Amazon.
What bits are you using to cut records? and I posted a pic of what I have to do, maybe only simple designs we can do?