New here and to CNC

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
injected
Model of CNC Machine: 4x8 Laguna Swift

New here and to CNC

Post by injected »

Greetings, first time here- first time posting. I have questions abound, but to keep this post simple and on point I am going to try and limit the scope of my task.

Below is a screenshot of a file that was given to us. I don't understand why the xy datum is nowhere near zero. I can scroll all the way down off the work piece and get to zero on the y axis but even if I scroll all the way left I still only get to 150ish on the X. Maybe this doesn't matter and it's simply all relative, but it's annoying on an OCD level, and it makes it difficult for a beginner such as myself to play around with basic tasks. It just seems like the red dot on the lower left xy datum position should be zero zero.
vectricCapture.JPG
The reason I ask is - I need to add some secondary curves along the edges that will be milled to half thickness of the sheet in order to accept a protective channel (see second attachment). The lines need to be approx. .300 inward from the sides. So if the rh corner of my part (or what you folks call the vector) is at 318.336, and I want to start my secondary curve .300 inward, I should simply start my arc at 318.036? If yes, I'm not sure how I would find that same point at the bottom.

Can any of you think of a tutorial that may address this topic better? I have watched a few of Mark Lindsay's beginner cnc vids and tried to watch some of Vectrics monotone english woman, but seem to fall asleep or drift off into a drooling hypnotic state.
With secondary line added
With secondary line added
fyi- Our 4x8 table is currently in production and I don't have a way to test anything at this time.

Thanks Chris

IslaWW
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CNC Controller Upgrades

Re: New here and to CNC

Post by IslaWW »

Uncheck "Use Offset" and see if that gets you closer to what you imagine.
Gary Campbell
GCnC Control
ATC & Servo Controller Controller Upgrades
GCnC411 (at) gmail.com

adze_cnc
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: AXYZ 4008

Post by adze_cnc »

injected wrote:I don't understand why the xy datum is nowhere near zero.
Rhetorical question of the day: because that's where it was set in the original file? As has been said: uncheck "use offset" so that the lower left corner will become 0,0

Samson
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 4x4

Post by Samson »

adze_cnc wrote:
Rhetorical question of the day: because that's where it was set in the original file? As has been said: uncheck "use offset" so that the lower left corner will become 0,0
I have to say... your condescending attitude is getting tiring. I see a post by you, and just pass it by normally. This time, I had to say something.

This person said they are new, and asked for help. Then you come along with your smart *** comments. Either be helpful, or don't respond to a question.

And as for the OP question, if you want to offset another vector off the original, could you utilize the offset vector tool to accomplish your task?

4DThinker
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CNC Shark Pro, Probotix Meteor 25" x 50"

Post by 4DThinker »

Likely because the vectors were draw in some other software, and the author didn't know/care where 0,0 was. I often get files from my students that use Rhino to do their drawings, and after they export the vectors I need 0,0 is also far away from vectors. Fortunately, as other have mentioned Vectric's software make it easy to turn off (uncheck) offset then re-enable and enter whatever you need it to be.

4D

tomgardiner
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: FMT Patriot 4 x8

Post by tomgardiner »

You can move all your vectors to a new absolute position by selecting all the vectors by lower right to upper left mouse left button or CTRL A. Now move all using absolute function with lower left at 0,0 (or whatever works best)
Your offset vectors are probably best accomplished with the offset tool (bottom row of drawing tool icons I think)

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Post by martin54 »

It might be just a screen issue but the other thing you might want to do is check those vectors to make sure that there aren't a lot of stray nodes. Depending on what software this has been created in you may find you have far more nodes than you need. Often with jobs like this I will import & then redraw to ensure I have nice clean vectors, only takes a couple of minutes with something simple like this & ensures you have the best possible starting point :lol: :lol:

If you are new to CNC & the software then now is a good time to start working your way through the tutorials, start at the beginning rather than cherry pick :lol: You can download the files for most of the tutorials & work alongside the video :lol:

injected

Post by injected »

Thanks guys! The simple "use offset" checkbox did the trick.

injected

Post by injected »

Ignore this- I think I have it handled. I started the tutorials and they are currently covering this. Sorry!

Not sure if I should start a new thread but here goes- When I copy one vector off the screenshot where there are 3 nested and paste into a new project it appears off the white work area to the right. see below-
vector3Capture.JPG
Now if I go to Edit>Align selected objects>center in material - it places the vector into the white work area. Is this normal? What's the purpose?
Chris

SteveNelson46
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Camaster Stinger 1

Post by SteveNelson46 »

The paste function will paste the object in the same location as where it was copied from. As long as it is still selected, F9 will center it in the material.
Steve

Leo
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 1300 x 1300 x 254 Chinese Made

Post by Leo »

The white area is the material. That is the size as you enter the dialog box in the left. The GREEN square is the X-Y zero point same as it is in the dialog box in the left. BTW - you can click any of the 5 X-Y zero positions. My personal preference is middle. It really does not matter where you select the X-Y zero position, BUT, the CNC machine will NEED to be set up the same way.

When you center the vector lines - it centers to the material - that is the white area.
Imagine the Possibilities of a Creative mind, combined with the functionality of CNC