45 degree v bit for inlays

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
Doug98105
Model of CNC Machine: Centroid knee mill with 4th axis

45 degree v bit for inlays

Post by Doug98105 »

Looking for a 45 degree v bit for inlays.

So far I found the Amana RC-1145 which is an insert type bit. Amazon Prime has it for $65. No information on whether it has a sharp point or flat on tip though.

Anybody found any others? A solid carbide 1/4" shank would be fine.

gkas
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Aspire, Axiom AR8 Pro+, Axiom 4.2W Laser

Re: 45 degree v bit for inlays

Post by gkas »

I use their 60 degree bit a whole lot.... It's one of my favorite bits.

https://www.amanatool.com/rc-1145-cnc-i ... r-bit.html

The picture shows a pointed tip, like all of their insert bits. This bit is a very good investment. You might also look at the RC-1045, that has a 1/2" shank.

Steve Misher
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: Axiom AR4

Post by Steve Misher »

The RC1145 has a sharp point on the tip. I just started to use the new insert bit Amana's and they seem to work better than the conventional V-bits.

ZipperHead55
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Axiom AR4Pro+ and AR8Pro+

Post by ZipperHead55 »

Try Drillman1's ebay shop: https://www.ebay.com/usr/drillman1?_trk ... 7675.l2559

I buy the Kyocera 30 degree 1/4" shank bits when he has them in 5 packs (about $50 for 5). He sells them individually as well. There are also 1/8" shank bits if you have that capability/collet.

I have the Amana InGroove system, and TBH, it wasn't worth the money for my applications. I find that if you get to too high of an RPM and/or the blade isn't seated properly, the tip "flings" outwards due to centrifugal force, and it makes the groove bigger than it should be.

Those Kyocera bits are awesome, and a solid value for their price.

Allan

scottp55
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: ShopbotDesktop 5.5"Z/spindle/VCP11.5

Post by scottp55 »

Made with Drillman1's .125"shank 60degree bit with the std. .0125"flat($4.50USD).
All those bits except for the 30 degree"Sharp" are excellent if you cut toolpath twice like Paul said he does.
The flat actually makes 1 tool faster with clean "flats". Hard to say you can't afford a sharp bit:)
ZEBRA TREE 5.jpg
African tree Ky.125 60 called out as vbit.jpg
TIN PURPLEHEART MAPLE 1.jpg
Also used an Onsrud 37-01 60degree engraving with a .005" flat if I was worried about tearout, as it's a single straight flute and cuts beautifully smooth (about $18 at Ballew Saw).
Probably go with 45 or 30's next time for fine details. Haven't done one in years as playing with 3D's and such. :(
Carving outline first helps sometimes.jpg
Gerry Onsrud 37-01 D engraving called out as VBit.jpg
scott
I've learned my lesson well. You can't please everyone,so you have to please yourself
R.N.

Doug98105
Model of CNC Machine: Centroid knee mill with 4th axis

Post by Doug98105 »

ZipperHead55 wrote:Try Drillman1's ebay shop: https://www.ebay.com/usr/drillman1?_trk ... 7675.l2559

I buy the Kyocera 30 degree 1/4" shank bits when he has them in 5 packs (about $50 for 5). He sells them individually as well. There are also 1/8" shank bits if you have that capability/collet.

I have the Amana InGroove system, and TBH, it wasn't worth the money for my applications. I find that if you get to too high of an RPM and/or the blade isn't seated properly, the tip "flings" outwards due to centrifugal force, and it makes the groove bigger than it should be.

Those Kyocera bits are awesome, and a solid value for their price.

Allan

Thanks Allan. The solid carbide is what I was looking for.

I'm glad you posted, I was about to order the Amana insert cutter. Your review and another where the guy said the cutter disintegrated on first use convinced me against it. Besides I can get a half dozens Kyocera's for the same price.

ger21
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Custom DIY

Post by ger21 »

FWIW, the Amana In Groove system is nothing like the RC1145.

The RC1145 is a high quality, heavy duty bit, where the In groove are rather fragile, and designed for specific applications.

I have a 90° Amana insert bit, and have cut 1" deep miters in one pass with no issues, and can cut 50-100 sheets with a single insert.
Gerry - http://www.thecncwoodworker.com