vector issues with vcarve

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
ezurick

vector issues with vcarve

Post by ezurick »

Folks, I hope I am asking in the proper forum, but this issue is with Vcarve Desktop. I've tried to ask Vectric support to help.. but I warned them I am a newbie, but it appears they EXPECT a person to be profession in their software with procedures and terms. My issue is with vector files. I've upload an example (which I had to zip because this website doesn't like certain file extensions). I get various vector files from the Internet. Many times I have no issue or very little issues. But some complex ones I just can not figure out how to fix this. A quick remedy is to use the profile toolpath, but it just doesn't look the same as vcarve toolpath.

If you import the attached .svg vector file you'll see it look rather normal. But if you high light the whole thing and use the vcarve toolpath it will calculate a long time and then look like something from outer space. The Vectric support tell me it has to do with open vectors. I right click and select all open vectors and it doesn't find any.

Can someone help my understand how to fix this? Again, I need to use vcarve toolpath. I appreciate your assistance...
Attachments
Forest marquetry pattern.zip
(245.02 KiB) Downloaded 120 times

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Re: vector issues with vcarve

Post by Adrian »

A V-carve toolpath requires an inner and outer vector as that is what guides the bit. Think of a doughnut shape. What you're trying to do is a very advanced topic and you'll need to be proficient with the editing tools in VCarve and be able to visualise the finished result. It will take time and patience starting with a set of vectors like that.

Some parts are easy to sort out like the petals and inner parts. Just close those vectors, select the petal and inner circle and you have a vcarved flower. The leaves are a different ball game as they intersect with each other and the frames so multiple vectors would need to be created and joined to get the effect you're after.

Not sure why you're not finding the open vectors there are plenty when I right click and select open vectors.

I'd suggest starting working your way through the tutorial videos and some simpler projects as you're only going to get frustrated trying to jump in with something like this.

highpockets
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: PDJ Pilot Pro

Post by highpockets »

This is a vector drawing and don't optimized for machining.

Using Vector Validator you'll see why V-Carve toolpath is having issues. This is going to take a "lot" of fiddling and node editing to make work.
Image 269.png
What Adrian said... :D :D :D
John
Maker of Chips

ezurick

Post by ezurick »

thanks guy for your help. I'll research more....

sharkcutup
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Shark HD3 Pro Extended Bed with Spindle

Post by sharkcutup »

Carved like this maybe??? A Shortcut to all the "ton" of work to close the open vectors!!!
Sample Forest Pattern.jpg
Two Layers
1.) Profile On (Open Vectors) 60 degree bit at .05 deep
2.) V-Carve (Closed Vectors) 60 degree bit at .05 deep

And this is by no means perfect because there is an individual flower (within four groups of flowers) that is carved differently from the others!! Still needs more fiddling in order to get a perfect file!

Note: But as a newbie you really should do as the other forum members pointed out. Take some time to view the tutorial videos and other material before jumping into complicated files!

Sharkcutup
V-Carve Pro Tips, Gadget Tips & Videos
YouTube Channel - Sharkcutup CNC
V-Carve Pro 12.004