Experience with Carving Bamboo Board Stock

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
sharkcutup
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Shark HD3 Pro Extended Bed with Spindle

Experience with Carving Bamboo Board Stock

Post by sharkcutup »

Is there anyone out there had any experiences, advantages/disadvantages, etc... in carving BAMBOO Material Stock?

Just curious as to anyone individuals experiences carving Bamboo Board Stock (particularly cutting board stock).

I have a small project using Bamboo Cutting Board Material removing approximately 1/8" from entire surface then V-Carving text with a little graphics onto that cleaned up surface.

Any Information would help!

Thanks,

Sharkcutup
V-Carve Pro Tips, Gadget Tips & Videos
YouTube Channel - Sharkcutup CNC
V-Carve Pro 12.004

Tailmaker
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Home Built 4-axis Router

Re: Experience with Carving Bamboo Board Stock

Post by Tailmaker »

I have used Bamboo plywood extensively, not the least my CNC machine frame and gantry are made from Bamboo boards.
It cuts and carves beautifully. A little abrasive on the bits but not too bad. Leaves very little fuzz so that I usually only cut with upcut endmills. The little remaining fuzz on the sharp edges can be scraped off with a fingernail. I would use Bamboo more often but lately it has become so expensive.

woody53
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Probotix Meteor 25 x 50

Post by woody53 »

I carved a bamboo Pizza Peel I bought at Menards for $9. It carved beautifully, very little fuzzes, but it was only V Carved. It seems to be holding up, so will do more for my son.

woody53
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Probotix Meteor 25 x 50

Post by woody53 »

Pizza Peel.jpg
Here's the pizza peel I did. I may have used a piece of 440 sandpaper to take off what little fuzz there was.

sharkcutup
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Shark HD3 Pro Extended Bed with Spindle

Post by sharkcutup »

Thank you for the quick responses! The input given was enough for me to get a handle on what to expect.

I have made progress to near completion of my small project on a Bamboo Cutting board. In my project my client wanted what was already on the board removed, sanded smooth and to V-Carve what he/she wanted on the board. Removed .025" material from board surface with a 1.25" dia. mortising bit, sanded that surface removing all milling lines, the V-Carve Text and Graphics using a 0.5" dia. 60 degree V-Bit which carved extremely clean. The only thing left to do is to seal the cutting board with some mineral oil.

Have a GREAT DAY Everyone!

Sharkcutup
V-Carve Pro Tips, Gadget Tips & Videos
YouTube Channel - Sharkcutup CNC
V-Carve Pro 12.004