Sooo..There I was cutting them as carefully as I could, and the first two blanks cut beautifully.
Getting ready to cut the third blank when my Mother pulled up to the garage door for the VERY first time on her brand new knee.
I made a "Wait a minute" sign, slammed the last 12 block blank in WITHOUT inspecting my Unifence spacer block for sawdust!!!
FIRST cut was off an unnoticed .125" SHORT because I was RUSHING as my mom was standing there, and then I got back in the groove of blowing sawdust from every cut.
Didn't notice till she left that ALL 12 blocks were now cut off center
I radiused those 12 first, and on 6 blocks, the guide bearing fell into the pocket and ruined them:(
Jigged and cut the individual replacement blocks the next day after sanding them to same dimensions.
Then had to sand the 66 end grain faces up to 400G as Oils accentuate Every little sawmark.
You never really think how many faces/Radius edges/corners there are on 33 cubes until you hand sand them to 400G by hand till you can't tell the difference between any face/edge with your eyes closed.
THEN decided to use the best finish I had discovered while making buttons that could be washed 3 times in a machine with Woolite on delicate cycle.
It involves melting in a SLOW 150F double boiler an 80/20 Earthpaint Linseed Oil(polymerized with NO dryers)/Beeswax from a local organic supplier, and letting them heat soak for 20 minutes, and then turning heat off, leave 24 hours, then reheat and let stand until fully heat soaked again before removing and wiping excess off.
NICE feature is that heat soaked wood absorbs virtually all excess as it cools:)
BUT 1.75" cubes are NOT buttons, and my normal Mason jars way too small, and even the largest dill pickle glass jar only allowed 4 blocks at a time.
Time for my smallest Crock Pot:)
(only 8 blocks at a time, but added 6 fully sanded blocks for screw ups.
Maple floats, so had to weigh them down with a coffee carafe.
Did you know that Sugar Maple blocks will BUBBLE for 20-30 minutes as the oil/wax displaces the air:)
Later cutting showed .375" end grain penetration.
4days in a heat wave, and kitchen floor is VERY shiny
BUT looking at the blocks, I noticed on the face grain the air/water had no place to go...except to expand! Resand to 600G
While doing that...I thought "These are great, BUT she'll outgrow them by first grade
....WHAT IF I put words on the end grain sides that start with the alphabet side letter?"
Like those kitchen magnets with words so kids(and adults) can make short sentences.
Tossed the idea at Jaimie and asked for 54 SHORT words from her and husband, BEFORE considering the cutting:)
John called it a "Snowball" project
I made a copy of the 24 block sides at a time in No Man's Land. And then using Text in a Box in Franklin Gothic Demi added their words in the spaces, and then block by block selected the letter,shift selected the actual cutting block,toolpathed it,previewed, saved, CUT TWICE. (I used Drillman1's .125" 45degree 2F engraving bit with the .0125" flat..DESCRIBED as a VBit.)
Then moved the word just carved above the blocks out of the way to keep track, selected the next word,centered in the block, toolpathed, previewed,saved, flipped block........................................................................................................................................................................
Getting close to the end folks:)
Time to make some more Java:)