Anyway to just do detail pass for 3d carve?

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
jgwl
Model of CNC Machine: Shapeoko 3

Anyway to just do detail pass for 3d carve?

Post by jgwl »

Hi all, first time poster.

I'm carving out a model that has concave angular valleys. Is there any way for me to run a pass with a smaller ball end to ONLY just cut out the details that my larger ball end couldn't reach into? I think of it as the 3d equivalent of tracing an outline with a smaller diameter bit. I don't want to recarve the whole model with my smaller ball end, I just want my machine to cut into the creases that my larger endmill couldn't fit.

Can we do some sort of diff between say, the 1/8" ballend model and a 1/16" ballend model, and then only generate the gcode for the differences where it reached a certain threshold?

Thanks!

Rcnewcomb
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: 24x36 GCnC/WinCNC with ATC

Re: Anyway to just do detail pass for 3d carve?

Post by Rcnewcomb »

You can draw vectors to control where the smaller bit will go.

With Aspire there is a technique called Rest Machining where you can create a 3D component that covers the areas that a smaller bit can cut, but would have been missed by a larger bit.

WIth either technique there will be a witness line that will need to be sanded away after the piece comes off the machine.
- Randall Newcomb
10 fingers in, 10 fingers out, another good day in the shop

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Post by martin54 »

Aspire does something called "Rest Machining" for this sort of thing but I don't think Vcarve will do it. There is no way to calculate the difference between 2 toolpaths & only machine the difference in any of the Vectric software that I know of. Having just said that I guess that's what rest machining does :lol: :lol: :lol:

When I was using Vcarve pro & had one or two small areas that really needed a smaller endmill I would draw some vectors around those areas & then use the vector boundary option & generate another finish pass, worked OK for me :lol: :lol:

Oh Randall types faster than me lol
Last edited by martin54 on Fri Oct 26, 2018 7:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

jgwl
Model of CNC Machine: Shapeoko 3

Post by jgwl »

Thanks all! Great tip about reducing your area using vectors; I'll give it a try this weekend.

And now I know the correct term for what I was trying to accomplish.

sharkcutup
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Shark HD3 Pro Extended Bed with Spindle

Post by sharkcutup »

I always just add some vectors to the areas where I would like the machine to carve. And when doing this if it is a 3D model be sure to Select 'project tool path onto 3D model' or else you will be just cutting air. It take a little extra time but the end results are much better.

Just a Thought!

Sharkcutup
V-Carve Pro Tips, Gadget Tips & Videos
YouTube Channel - Sharkcutup CNC
V-Carve Pro 12.004

martin54
Vectric Archimage

Post by martin54 »

sharkcutup wrote:I always just add some vectors to the areas where I would like the machine to carve. And when doing this if it is a 3D model be sure to Select 'project tool path onto 3D model' or else you will be just cutting air. It take a little extra time but the end results are much better.

Just a Thought!

Sharkcutup
This is a 3D model that requires some detail work in just a couple of areas rather than the whole model being cut with a smaller bit :lol: :lol:

No project toolpath onto 3D model with a 3D finish pass. The idea is to draw a couple of vectors around the areas that need the smaller bit & then use the vector machining boundary when generating a second finish pass :lol: :lol:

sharkcutup
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Shark HD3 Pro Extended Bed with Spindle

Post by sharkcutup »

Hey Martin54,

I do understand that it is a 3D model being finished entirely.

You have a clever idea but I was just pointing out that there is another way to do some cleanup which has served well for me which is a separate toopath usually a profile toolpath and I was pointing out that if anyone was to do this on a 3D model to be sure to check the box "project toolpath onto 3D model"or else they would be just cutting air.

I was not in any way trying to take away from your initial post, In fact, I sort of like to try your idea next time.

Sharkcutup
V-Carve Pro Tips, Gadget Tips & Videos
YouTube Channel - Sharkcutup CNC
V-Carve Pro 12.004

martin54
Vectric Archimage

Post by martin54 »

sharkcutup wrote:Hey Martin54,

I do understand that it is a 3D model being finished entirely.

You have a clever idea but I was just pointing out that there is another way to do some cleanup which has served well for me which is a separate toopath usually a profile toolpath and I was pointing out that if anyone was to do this on a 3D model to be sure to check the box "project toolpath onto 3D model"or else they would be just cutting air.

I was not in any way trying to take away from your initial post, In fact, I sort of like to try your idea next time.

Sharkcutup
Its not my idea, its how the software has been designed to work so its Vectrics idea :lol: :lol:
I can't see how you can use a profile toolpass strategy to enhance detail on a 3D model so some insight in how to do that would be good for all. I do use the Project toolpath option with 3D models when I want to add text, a pocket cut or some other addition to a 3D model that I am working on but I would never have considered it possible to use for this sort of thing where a particular part of a 3D model needs a bit more detail & a smaller tool is needed just for that part of the model :lol: :lol: