Advise on trensfering router templates,Please

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
browndawg
Model of CNC Machine: stinger

Advise on trensfering router templates,Please

Post by browndawg »

I'm trying to convert my router templates to drawings in Vcarve pro 9.
I've scanned them then imported into Vcarve then tried trace bitmap image.
There is something that I'm not getting. So far I've not been successful in many tries and countless hours. Seems there should be a better way or different methodology.
Any input would be gratefully appreciated!!

Thank you

Mike-S
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Joe's Hybrid 4x4 (but 3x3)

Re: Advise on trensfering router templates,Please

Post by Mike-S »

You didn't say what the problem is you're having.
Pics?
The chicken (bluebird) usually works pretty good.

highpockets
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: PDJ Pilot Pro

Post by highpockets »

Can you post a picture of a typical template you're trying to convert?
John
Maker of Chips

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Post by martin54 »

Lots of places where errors can creep in with your process, not saying that is the case here but a few pictures or screenshots would help a lot as others have said. The best way would probably be to draw them using the vector tools within the software which unfortunately if you are not proficient can take time :lol:
You can use your scanned bitmap as a guide which may help.
What resolution are you scanning at & what file format are you saving the scanned image as? :lol:

ZipperHead55
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Axiom AR4Pro+ and AR8Pro+

Post by ZipperHead55 »

martin54 wrote:Lots of places where errors can creep in with your process, not saying that is the case here but a few pictures or screenshots would help a lot as others have said. The best way would probably be to draw them using the vector tools within the software which unfortunately if you are not proficient can take time :lol:
You can use your scanned bitmap as a guide which may help.
What resolution are you scanning at & what file format are you saving the scanned image as? :lol:
I suspect the issue is that the OP is getting far too many nodes in their vectors from using the Trace Bitmap method.

As Martin said above, it would be beneficial to learn/use the vector creation tools in VCarve since you have FAR more control over the nodes. I have learned the hard way that there isn't an automagic way to create vectors from an image (I have tried other software, such as Illustrator (LiveTrace) and GraphicTracer, which work, for a "quick and dirty" method, but these programs also create (on average) far too many nodes, and if you are trying to do straight lines or smooth curves, you will likely always be unsatisfied with the results.

It takes time (especially the different type of curves, and types of nodes) but once you are proficient at it (learn the keyboard shortcuts!!!!) you will have complete control over your paths.

Another tip: if you are scanning the images, and there isn't a scale on the picture (unlikely, but you never know), place a ruler beside the template (when you scan it) so you can ensure the scale of your design is correct.

Tip#2: Make it easier to use your scanned image to manually trace your paths by right-clicking on the bitmap image and selecting Object Properties and move the slider bar to adjust the amount of fading there is on the background object (i.e the picture you are tracing, particularly if it is very dark).

Allan

LittleGreyMan
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 3 axis small size machine

Post by LittleGreyMan »

ZipperHead55 wrote:these programs also create (on average) far too many nodes, and if you are trying to do straight lines or smooth curves, you will likely always be unsatisfied with the results.
Allan,

Using the "fit curves to vectors" feature helps getting rid of *a lot* of nodes.
Best regards

Didier

W7 - Aspire 8.517

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

The other issue (really just guessing until we get more detail) could be the scanning format. The default of a lot of scanning programs is JPG at high compression which is fine for pictures to the human eye but has way too much aliasing for automatic tracing. Better to use a lossless format or, has been suggested, trace by hand for the best possible result.

ZipperHead55
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Axiom AR4Pro+ and AR8Pro+

Post by ZipperHead55 »

Allan,

Using the "fit curves to vectors" feature helps getting rid of *a lot* of nodes.
I had seen that feature but never used it. I tend to use Inkscape, Illustrator, et al but I'm really starting to appreciate the tools in Aspire (less learning curve, and they do what the average CNC user needs). Thanks for the tip.

Allan

rscrawford
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CAMaster Cobra 408 ATC, ShopSabre IS408

Post by rscrawford »

Almost always easier to take measurements and just draw the vectors yourself. Usually get a smoother, more accurate product than your templates gave you.
Russell Crawford
http://www.cherryleaf-rustle.com

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Post by martin54 »

ZipperHead55 wrote:
Allan,

I had seen that feature but never used it. I tend to use Inkscape, Illustrator, et al but I'm really starting to appreciate the tools in Aspire (less learning curve, and they do what the average CNC user needs). Thanks for the tip.

Allan
Although fit curves to vectors will reduce the node count you will still end up with unwanted nodes, better to redraw as you do already :lol: :lol:

Using other software is allowed :lol: :lol: I still fall back on my signmaking software for somethings because I am much better with the tools it uses & how they work, far to old to be trying to learn new software :lol: But like you am using Aspire tools for some things & learning slowly :oops: