What is causing this issue

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
TequilaTony
Model of CNC Machine: CNCRouterParts PRO4896

What is causing this issue

Post by TequilaTony »

I'm on version 9.509 of VCarve PRO and am seeing a strange error in tool path generation. It appears my arcs are getting clipped and the output is unacceptable. Not sure how to fix. Here is a screen shot showing the nodes and tool path. I've made sure the arcs where perfect circles as a starting point. Why are they clipping? Post processor is Mach3.

Tony
Attachments
Capture.PNG

LittleGreyMan
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 3 axis small size machine

Re: What is causing this issue

Post by LittleGreyMan »

Hi Tony,

The postprocessor is not relevant, as this is post treatment as its name suggest.

What you see is the result of the toolpath calculation, whatever post processor you choose to output the cutting file.

From your snapshot, it definitely looks like a bug, but it's difficult to say without any information regarding the toolpath, the tool and the size of the vectors.

Better post your file if there is no copyright issue. You can simplify it and only include the toolpath and the vectors showing the issue.

You can also send it to Vectric support.

IIRC, a similar bug has been reported in the past in very specific cases (which does not mean there are lots of bugs in Vectric products. That's just the opposite and they patch them very quickly).
Best regards

Didier

W7 - Aspire 8.517

AdamJ
Vectric Staff
Model of CNC Machine: None

Post by AdamJ »

Hi Tony,

As LittleGreyMan says it would be helpful if you could send us your file to take a look at. We have updated one of our libraries which handles arc support in toolpaths and so it may be related to that. We have some fixes waiting to go out for a related issue and I would hope that your file would be solved by this. If we have the file we can verify this.

In the meantime then it might be worth trying to line-fit your geometry before toolpathing. This may resolve the issue.

Thanks,
Adam

TequilaTony
Model of CNC Machine: CNCRouterParts PRO4896

Post by TequilaTony »

Here is a file with the issue. It's slightly different but is experiencing similar clipping issues. I was able to get beyond the issue by using the "Curve Fit" tool and selecting the "Bezier Curves" option. This got be by for now but it would be nice not to have to perform the extra steps.

Thanks,
Tony
Attachments
Issue.crv
(211 KiB) Downloaded 108 times

LittleGreyMan
Vectric Wizard

Post by LittleGreyMan »

Tony,

It seems there is nothing wrong with your file and there is definitively an issue with the toolpath calculation.

As the result is correct when arcs are converted to Bezier curves, it is probably related to the problem Adam described.

Send directly the file to Vectric support with a link to this thread. As it's mainly a user forum, it's the only way to be sure someone at Vectric will quickly have a look.
Best regards

Didier

W7 - Aspire 8.517

LittleGreyMan
Vectric Wizard

Post by LittleGreyMan »

BTW maybe the flat depth was set to 0.5" for the whole design, but it's useless for this part as the max depth is 0.31". You can check it by hovering the toolpath name with the mouse in the toolpath list.
Best regards

Didier

W7 - Aspire 8.517

AdamJ
Vectric Staff
Model of CNC Machine: None

Post by AdamJ »

Hi Tony,

Thank you for posting the file. I checked it this morning and it is resolved by the changes we have made.
When the next patch is released then this fix will be included and we are in the process of testing this now.

Like I said in my previous post, this problem is related to new handling of arcs, so it can be resolved by using Fit Curve To Vectors and fitting with Straight Lines.
I hope this will help you until the 9.510 becomes available.

Thanks again,
Adam