Z depth adjustment

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
Ade
Model of CNC Machine: NewCNC Smart ER Series 2

Z depth adjustment

Post by Ade »

Does anyone know of a way to make the Z depth on a profile through cut always be .005" into the spoilboard? I like to cut all the way through for a cleaner bottom corner but everytime I need to adjust the material thickness, I have to remember to change the cut depth on the profile tool path to .005" more than what my material miced out to be. It would be nice if there was a way to make this automatic so that I wouldn't have to do this everytime.

tomgardiner
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: FMT Patriot 4 x8

Re: Z depth adjustment

Post by tomgardiner »

How about a toolpath template that has the cutting depth set as "z+. 005"?

SteveNelson46
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Camaster Stinger 1

Post by SteveNelson46 »

Maybe some clever use of Document Variables?
Steve

Barry Anderson
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Shark

Post by Barry Anderson »

When I want to cut all the way through, I set the starting point as the table surface. I use a lot of 1/2" birch which sometimes vary in thickness. This change in my toolpaths made a difference.
Barry

Ade
Model of CNC Machine: NewCNC Smart ER Series 2

Post by Ade »

Thanks for your input! Barry, I'm not sure what you mean by setting the starting point at the table surface - I do have to set Z0 at the machine bed as opposed to the work surface height. Tom, I'm still fairly new at this and haven't messed with toolpath templates - I wonder if there is a way to create one and make it automatically stick to your through cuts? I'll have to see if I can find a tutorial on that. In CV, we have it set up so it just always happens - but, CV isn't great with the artsy side of things. :)

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

In your toolpath you can enter T+0.005 or Z+0.005 (don't press the = sign as you normally would with variable) into the cut depth field. What that does is to use the defined thickness of the material as the basis of the cut depth and then adds the 0.005 on.

If you change the thickness of the material then hitting the Recalculate All button will adjust the toolpaths to take account of the new thickness. For the ultimate flexibility use good layer management, associate all your toolpaths with layers making sure the automatic option is checked and save/reload as toolpath templates.

I've worked this way for years now and the only time I ever create a toolpath from scratch is when I'm testing a new feature or helping someone solve a problem.