3D assembly of traditional scallop quarterboard sign

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
JFischer911
Model of CNC Machine: Shapeoko XXL

3D assembly of traditional scallop quarterboard sign

Post by JFischer911 »

Hi All,

I'd like to make a traditional quarterboard sign (examples below) for a present and I'm having some trouble assembling the 3D components to make it. This is my first foray into the 3D side of VCarve Pro and I've watched the tutorials multiple times each but I'm still struggling. I was hoping someone might be able to help or point me in the right directions. I see that the clip art has a scallop available and I'd like to have one at each end. Just inside of that, I'd like it to slope down as if a real carver had been doing a relief carving, which can kind of be seen in the 3rd picture. Would I use a dish shape for that? How do I then get the CNC to cut to the outside profile of the clip art? Overall dimensions of the sign are expected to be around 5x36x1 inches.

Any help or assistance on this would be greatly appreciated.
Attachments
quarterboard 2.jpg
quarterboard 3.jpg
quarterboard 1.jpg

Jim_in_PA
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Camaster Stinger II SR-44 (MacOS user)

Re: 3D assembly of traditional scallop quarterboard sign

Post by Jim_in_PA »

This isn't as difficult as it might seem and you have multiple methods available, too. You can cut it as all one piece, or you can cut the overall "level" sign separate, including the outlines of the scallops, then cut the actual scallops separately and then apply them to the base. Many makers will do it with the scallops as an applied element because it's more efficient with material use. Regardless, you have to understand that you not only will use the 3D element as a 3D element, but you also need to trace its outline to incorporate into the 2D tool paths for cutting things out. That's a normal process and is illustrated in the Vectric tutorials. My suggestion would be for you to try some simpler projects that bring in 3D elements before you cut this larger one so you get comfortable with the process.

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Post by martin54 »

Probably not what you want to hear but did you start from the beginning with the tutorials or have you cherry picked the things that look really cool & decided to start from there :lol: :lol:
Have you tried downloading the tutorial files & actually working alongside the video tutorial rather than just watching? Most of the tutorials have the files available for download & it your working alongside the video its much easier to see where you have gone wrong should the outcome not be the same as the tutorials :lol: :lol:
As Jim_in_PA has already said start off with some simple projects & work from there :lol: :lol:

What problems do you seem to be having? To profile cut 3D models you need a vector boundary which you can add using either the icon on left side toolbar or from the drop down list. You would then join these vector to the main rectangle, several ways it can be done.

JFischer911
Model of CNC Machine: Shapeoko XXL

Post by JFischer911 »

Thanks for the replies, Jim and Martin.

I watched and worked along with all the tutorials when I first got VCarve Pro and have had a lot of success in 2D and 2.5D cuts, but that was a over a year ago so I had to bone up on the 3D tutorials.

Jim, I like the idea of doing it as an applied element. I'll fool around with that as I'm working through this idea. Doing it as an applied element could possibly give me sharper (not radiused) joints where the two pieces come together and give more of an impression of it being hand carved, I think. Of course, you're right that I should probably start with something simpler but I skew towards the pig-headed. Thankfully I have plenty of scraps to test on and almost 3 months until Christmas!

Martin, thanks for the advice. I re-found the section on vector boundaries in the tutorials and that helped a lot. The main area in which I was having trouble was blending the scallop with the slope. I've been playing with the program all day, tweaking different settings and parameters and finally have it much closer to what I'm picturing in my head. I still need to work on the slope as it's a little too steep and I'd like to get the scallop shell a little thicker towards the inside but I think I'm getting on the right track. I'm more than sure that the toolpaths are a little slap-dash but that was just to get the preview right. Here's a pic of what I have so far.
Attachments
quarterboard.jpg