setting depth pass's

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
jgstang
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: iconic 2015

setting depth pass's

Post by jgstang »

still learning but having a blast! when I do a carve and set the depth @ .30 right now it just dives right in.. how do I set it where it will do 3 or 4 pass's so its not so hard on the bit ? thanks for your time...

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Re: setting depth pass's

Post by Adrian »

The number of passes (if it's not a 3D finishing pass) is calculated from the pass depth setup for the tool in the tool database. You can also override the calculated number of passes within the toolpath itself for certain toolpaths.

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Post by martin54 »

Depends also on what toolpath strategy you are using, if you are using a vcarve toolpath there isn't much you can do other than setting the pass depth as Adrian has suggested but if you are using say a profile toolpath then you can do other things like set ramps & edit the passes so that you can set the DOC for each pass at a different value.
I do this sometimes when cutting say a chamfer, the first couple of passes where the tool is only cutting with a small part of the tool edge I will set the DOC per pass deeper than I do when it is cutting with the full edge :lol:
If you are using the profile toolpath or the pocket toolpath strategies then you can do this using the edit passes option on the form :lol: :lol:

Leo
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 1300 x 1300 x 254 Chinese Made

Post by Leo »

In the tool database there is a box called "pass depth", under cutting parameters.

I know some readers don't buy into this, but a good general starting point is to set the value to half the diameter of the cutter. So a .500 diameter cutter would be .250 on pass depth.

Depending on the cutter, that value can be less or it can be more.
Imagine the Possibilities of a Creative mind, combined with the functionality of CNC

jgstang
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: iconic 2015

Post by jgstang »

don't know if I get this right but under the tool cutting depths... there is START DEPTH ( D ) 0.0 and FLAT DEPTH ( F ) if I set the start @ .12 and flat @ .25 would that work ? makes sense to me but you guys are the Pro's Just a side note... I've restored countless classic mustangs and built a few nice house's but this stuff is very addicting! I have the 2015 ICONIC machine I love and a 4X10 space saver I have not tried yet but I can't get enough of it!! thanks

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Post by martin54 »

jgstang wrote:don't know if I get this right but under the tool cutting depths... there is START DEPTH ( D ) 0.0 and FLAT DEPTH ( F ) if I set the start @ .12 and flat @ .25 would that work ? makes sense to me but you guys are the Pro's Just a side note... I've restored countless classic mustangs and built a few nice house's but this stuff is very addicting! I have the 2015 ICONIC machine I love and a 4X10 space saver I have not tried yet but I can't get enough of it!! thanks
No what you have just mentioned is on the vcarve toolpath form, to alter the depth of cut per pass for a tool you need to be in the tool data base

http://support.vectric.com/tutorials/V9 ... 20database

The start depth is the depth the machine will start cutting which would normally be zero if you are setting your z zero to the material surface so setting a start depth of 0.12 would mean the machine would plunge to 0.12 before starting to cut :lol: :lol:

IslaWW
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CNC Controller Upgrades

Post by IslaWW »

"The start depth is the depth the machine will start cutting which would normally be zero if you are setting your z zero to the material surface so setting a start depth of 0.12 would mean the machine would plunge to 0.12 before starting to cut"

A point of clarification: When the start depth is zero, the bit will calculate the toolpaths from the material surface, whether you have the Z reference (zero) set to the top of material, or bottom of material (machine bed). There are no parameters that differ between either top or bottom Z reference, other than the checkbox that determines which position you chose for the Z ref.
Gary Campbell
GCnC Control
ATC & Servo Controller Controller Upgrades
GCnC411 (at) gmail.com

KeithW
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Probotix Meteor, Aspire 8.014

Post by KeithW »

Don't use V-Carve, but in Aspire, you set the number of passes you want to cut, and it will determine the depth of each (pass) cut depending on the total depth of cut.

rawand
Model of CNC Machine: Map LPZ1000

Post by rawand »

keep following Adrians ideas.
http://www.soran.edu.iq

csmoak
Model of CNC Machine: Romaxx

Post by csmoak »

[
Another moron here with a dumb question I’m sure. I was carving an eagles head all was fine till the end and 1/4 end mill plunged 0.075 !! I immediately stopped it. This was toward the very end of the cut it had done fine until this point. So I went back to Vcarve pro pulled up the tool and the pass Depth was 0.075 and I changed it to 0.12 since I was using a 1/4 bit. Recalculated the tool path zeroed my machine back out and started the program. I skipped up to the line I stopped at and again it plunged to deep. I had slowed the feed down before hand in case this happened. I’m not sure what I’m missing

quote=martin54 post_id=221495 time=1538681373 user_id=11567]
jgstang wrote:don't know if I get this right but under the tool cutting depths... there is START DEPTH ( D ) 0.0 and FLAT DEPTH ( F ) if I set the start @ .12 and flat @ .25 would that work ? makes sense to me but you guys are the Pro's Just a side note... I've restored countless classic mustangs and built a few nice house's but this stuff is very addicting! I have the 2015 ICONIC machine I love and a 4X10 space saver I have not tried yet but I can't get enough of it!! thanks
No what you have just mentioned is on the vcarve toolpath form, to alter the depth of cut per pass for a tool you need to be in the tool data base

http://support.vectric.com/tutorials/V9 ... 20database

The start depth is the depth the machine will start cutting which would normally be zero if you are setting your z zero to the material surface so setting a start depth of 0.12 would mean the machine would plunge to 0.12 before starting to cut :lol: :lol:
[/quote]

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

What type of toolpath was it? A 3D finish toolpath, for example. always cuts the depth it needs in one go and doesn't use the pass depth.

sharkcutup
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Shark HD3 Pro Extended Bed with Spindle

Post by sharkcutup »

Adrian wrote:
Tue Aug 09, 2022 8:51 am
What type of toolpath was it? A 3D finish toolpath, for example. always cuts the depth it needs in one go and doesn't use the pass depth.
This is why the "Preview Simulation" is important and your friend before going into the actual project carving! The Preview Simulation can reveal any oversized areas which may be too harsh on either the bit or machine thereby the OP can create other toolpaths to clear cut before using the "Finish Toolpath".

Just an opinion/thought!!!

Sharkcutup
V-Carve Pro Tips, Gadget Tips & Videos
YouTube Channel - Sharkcutup CNC
V-Carve Pro 11.554