cutting out small parts

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
redwood
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Axiom Pro6

Re: cutting out small parts

Post by redwood »

Just to finish this off, I did end up just using double sided tape that I had. It didn't really add much time. I've used the masking tape and CA glue with larger pieces just fine. There were just too many small pieces on this. So far I've completed 8 of the 16 I'm cutting for Xmas charity.
car and trailer.jpg
firetruck .jpg
farmtruck.jpg
Mark
Pioneer, CA

mtylerfl
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: -CarveWright CNC -ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha

Post by mtylerfl »

Those are great!
Michael Tyler

facebook.com/carvebuddy

-CarveWright CNC
-ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha CNC

scottp55
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: ShopbotDesktop 5.5"Z/spindle/VCP11.5

Post by scottp55 »

Those look really nice!! :)
If you're still using a 1/16" downcut, I Might swap to an upcut to have the rough edge on the top. Then you'd be able to sand the top of the material smooth with something like 400G with a soft pad RO(or Abranet with the pad protector). Or if pieces pop out with power sander, hand sand with 220-320G by hand while it's STILL a sheet. Saves a ton of time sanding individual parts.
When we were using Just carpet tape and a downcut for buttons, we sanded the side to be in contact with the tape to finish grit(600G) and then gave a coat of finish to it. It made release MUCH easier and cleaner, with less tearout from the downcut.
Then we swapped to upcut, and sanded Both sides to finish, and gave a coat to BOTH sides, and saved a ton of time. Continued that method even when we went with the sandwich method I showed. All the pics are carpet tape only with the carrier board lacquered 4 coats and then waxed for carpet tape to come off clean. These were in the early days, before going waxed HDO.
Then we only had to sand the actual cutout edge with a detuned XFine 3" 3M flap sander which went fast.
Congrats!
scott
Attachments
button blanks 8.9.14 1.jpg
b1.jpg
Bloodwood busy ones were cut with 60 NOT 45 called out tearout.jpg
Bloodwoods off.jpg
buttons walnut 3.jpg
buttons walnut4.jpg