Multiple Pass Depths on VCarve Pocket

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
OldMagnolia
Model of CNC Machine: OX Custom Build

Multiple Pass Depths on VCarve Pocket

Post by OldMagnolia »

Guys, y’all saved me last. Let’s see if you can follow it up. I am in the process of cutting the male portion of VCarve inlay. This male portion happens to be in wenge which is giving me problems. I used a .25EM with multiple passes to clear a large portion of the material by offsetting from the outside vectors. In the pocket part of the VCarve toolpath, I offset the outside vector a couple thou farther to cover the previous cut. This is when the problem arises. When the .125”EM begins to cut it tries to cut full depth and it doesn’t go well. Is there a way to set multiple passes for this process? I’ve changed the pass depth in the tool setting, slowed down feed rate, Increased RPMs. If I change those anymore I’ll start a fire. No matter the depth setting I change it to, nothing. When it’s cutting with the set step over it cuts fine, just not when it’s trying to cut and the entire bit is hitting material.

Is the solution to offset a smaller amount and use pocketing tool path with multiple passes to remove even more material before running the VCarve pocket?

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Re: Multiple Pass Depths on VCarve Pocket

Post by Adrian »

Have you got a start depth set? If so the first pass will be that depth plus the tool pass depth.

mtylerfl
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: -CarveWright CNC -ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha

Post by mtylerfl »

Always a great idea to include your actual file, if possible. Streamlines troubleshooting by a large margin.

If the file is too large to post here, use a service such as DropBox and post the download link here.
Michael Tyler

facebook.com/carvebuddy

-CarveWright CNC
-ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha CNC

FixitMike
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Shark Pro Plus (retired)

Post by FixitMike »

The way to limit the depth of cuts in the male inlay is to add an initial male toolpath with a starting depth of zero. Then cut the final depth with the desired start depth. Save the two toolpaths together with the zero start depth toolpath listed first.
Good judgement comes from experience.
Experience comes from bad judgement.