Rotary text on curve

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
terrytjaden
Model of CNC Machine: Shapeoko

Rotary text on curve

Post by terrytjaden »

I have a new Camaster with a rotary axis running parallel to the Y axis. How would I design text in Vcarve Pro to follow an angle on the Y axis? Foe example; a baseball bat that is mounted in the rotary and I want to vcarve text both directions. If I do conventional wrapping the text would be deeper on the bottom than the top. If I was carving the entire bat I could project the text onto the model but I am using a commercial bat. Same with the text following the Y axis; it would continue to get shallower the farther up the Y axis it travels? Any hints or videos would be appreciated.

IslaWW
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CNC Controller Upgrades

Re: Rotary text on curve

Post by IslaWW »

Terry...
If I understand you correctly you will need to make a 3D model of the bat, or have someone make one for you, then setup your VCarve as you wish and then "project toolpath onto 3D model"
Gary Campbell
GCnC Control
ATC & Servo Controller Controller Upgrades
GCnC411 (at) gmail.com

terrytjaden

Post by terrytjaden »

I was afraid that might be the case. I am actually doing sides of Beads of Courage bowls but I thought the bat example would be easier to explain. I don't believe there is a way to do the 3D work in V-Carve Pro so it may have to wait until I upgrade to Aspire. In the meantime I may be able to adapt something from a Design & Make model.

Thanks for your help.

wmgeorge
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Workbee 1000x750 Mach 4 PMDX Controller

Post by wmgeorge »

You have a rotary correct and you said Camaster. Why can't that be used to do what you want? Our laser guys engrave text all the time on mugs and wine glasses. I have only used my VCP 9.5 to do pre made 3D like from Design and Make but you can also Import 3D files, I think STL, perhaps from other software. I am on the MacBook Pro and can not access my VCP.
https://www.vectric.com/products/vcarve.htm

GEdward
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: 24 X 36 3 Axis

Post by GEdward »

But then again, can't you simply change either X or Y to your rotary axis? That is to say that if the bat is oriented along Y then you change X axis to input into the rotary axis so the rotary drive moves to simulate X. Unless you have a variable or compound radius? That way you don't even have to wrap; the setup behaves like a flat surface. In that case I would define the X Y origin in the center of the project work area.

terrytjaden

Post by terrytjaden »

Thanks to everyone for their suggestions. I will try to setup a model in a CAD package.