Desktop, finding radius of clipart dome..??

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
Doug98105
Model of CNC Machine: Centroid knee mill with 4th axis

Desktop, finding radius of clipart dome..??

Post by Doug98105 »

How to find radius of a clipart dome dish?

I think I know how, but want to check to see if the numbers I'm using are correct.

First import a clipart dome. In the drawing window (2D) click the set size icon, it gives the width and height, X and Y, at 100% size. In the modeling window (3D) the shape height is given, Z value.

From these X, Y and Z values I can determine the dome radius by using another CAD program (3 points determine an arc). My question is, are these values reliable? Since they're shown as 4 decimal place accuracy I assume they are, but thought it best to check with some of the experts here to verify.

The reason I need the dome radius is in some cases, like making a round box with domed lid, it's better for me to use my CNC lathe to turn the dome (much quicker and smoother finish than cutting the dome with a round nose router bit). If there are any vectors shapes to project onto the dome I would do those in the conventional way after the dome was done in the lathe.

Another question: what do the numbers 30, 45, 60 and 90 refer to in the dome clipart? 90 appears to be a hemisphere, but the others? Segments of a hemisphere?

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Re: Desktop, finding radius of clipart dome..??

Post by Adrian »

You can use the Measure tool to automatically create a vector that is the cross section of a piece of clipart. You can take measurements off that using the Dimension tool. Not sure if that's any easier for you but it might not be an option you're aware of.

tomgardiner
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: FMT Patriot 4 x8

Re: Desktop, finding radius of clipart dome..??

Post by tomgardiner »

I believe the numbers refer to the angle of the tangent with respect to horizontal at the edge of the dome.