Simple Question... I think

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
Savannahdan
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Axiom AR8

Re: Simple Question... I think

Post by Savannahdan »

You could also cut 3 1/2" pieces, with one having a contrasting color, and glue them together once the cuts are made. Takes a little longer but you can use the smaller end mill. As Martin addressed, the tittle over the I will need special attention.

SteveNelson46
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Camaster Stinger 1

Post by SteveNelson46 »

reynolpe wrote:
SteveNelson46 wrote:Re: Simple Question... I think
by SteveNelson46 » Mon Oct 01, 2018 9:19 pm

I have probably made close to 35 or 40 of these. Every time someone sees one they ask me to make another one for them. These are for my Veterinarian and his wife. Then I had to make another for one of the other Vets in the office. I did use Aspire though.

EDIT: I probably should have posted this in the Aspire Gallery.

Can you tell me how long yours are and what bits you used to make it? Also how think is the board you used? These look great.
I had to export the models as a .STL and import into the software for the Carvewright so everything was carved as a raster carve (3D). I used a 3/4" thick board and pushed the pattern to the bottom of the board so the carving process carved away everything above the pattern. Similar to adjusting the position of the model in Aspire/Vcarve. I used what they call a "pierced project" technique by creating a small, full depth, region around the project and 3D cut everything including the space. Since everything is 3D carved the only bit used was a 1/16" tapered BM. It's not the most efficient method but avoids the problem of a larger bit in tight areas.

As for the size, it varies with the length of the name. I try to keep the length under 12 ". Otherwise it doesn't fit on a desktop very well.
Last edited by SteveNelson46 on Tue Oct 02, 2018 4:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Steve

adze_cnc
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: AXYZ 4008

Post by adze_cnc »

highpockets wrote:I'm with Doug, the best way to cut this would be using a scroll saw, but if you must use the CNC use 1/2" stock with a .3LC 1/16" end mill and use double side machining. There will be some clean up, but depending on your method registering the stock it should be minimal.
There is also the best of both worlds idea:
  • cut single-side with CNC and an1/8" or even 3/16" bit
  • use a fret saw to get into the "corners"
Actually I'd cut all but the last pass (maybe 1/16" thickness) with a 1/4" bit then cut the last pass with a long 1/8" bit with cutting edge length (CEL) long enough to match the material thickness.

Steven

reynolpe
Model of CNC Machine: XCarve 1000mm

Post by reynolpe »

Savannahdan wrote:You could also cut 3 1/2" pieces, with one having a contrasting color, and glue them together once the cuts are made. Takes a little longer but you can use the smaller end mill. As Martin addressed, the tittle over the I will need special attention.
Yes I actually discussed this option with my friend. I think I like it. Thanks.

reynolpe
Model of CNC Machine: XCarve 1000mm

Post by reynolpe »

martin54 wrote:Oh just a quick thought, what are you going to do about the dot on the "i" have you thought about that ? You can add a small upright to hold it, use a small piece of rod or if you have any " sky hooks" are quite useful for this sort of thing :lol: :lol:

For the dot in the i I just selected the dot and moved it down to where it was attached to the i and trimmed up the overlap.