Converting scanned data to vectors, NEWBIE

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
mfase731
Model of CNC Machine: Panther 408

Converting scanned data to vectors, NEWBIE

Post by mfase731 »

I have had several items scanned to have cut and started with the simplest one and can convert to vectors. I have tried looking at every tutorial that I can find and still no luck. I get the file into VCarve Pro 9.508 through the modeling tab and that is where I get the grief of not creating vectors. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I am using Wincnc software on a Camaster Panther 408 machine. Thank you, Mike Fase.
Attachments
Badge_Final.png

dealguy11
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Anderson Selexx 510,24x48 GCnC/WinCNC

Re: Converting scanned data to vectors, NEWBIE

Post by dealguy11 »

I'm not really understanding the problem. When you say you got the items scanned, do you mean that you had someone create .stl files so you could import them as 3d components? That will not create vectors, it creates components, which are a different animal. You can create vectors from the components in a couple of ways. One is to use the "Create vector boundary around selected components" tool, assuming that the component doesn't have a large flat background area that came in with the scanned file. The other way, if that's the case, is to select the component and then use the "Trace Bitmap" tool from the drawing menu.

If you're importing a bitmap, then the "Trace Bitmap" tool on the drawing tab is once again your friend.
Steve Godding
Not all who wander (or wonder) are lost

mfase731

Post by mfase731 »

Yes, they came in with a flat background like the attachment has. I had a guitar and other items scanned as well.
Attachments
Badge_Data_File.zip
Here are the zip files for badge project.
(1.65 MiB) Downloaded 107 times

highpockets
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: PDJ Pilot Pro

Post by highpockets »

Looked at the stl file, imported into VCP no problem, I used the Create vector boundary tool to create a vector around the badge.

I guess I'm missing where things are going wrong for you....
Image 226.png
Image 225.png
John
Maker of Chips

dealguy11
Vectric Wizard

Post by dealguy11 »

I was able to import it as well. I had to do 3 things to make it import properly into my setup, once the import process started:

1. Hit the "Scale mm/inches" button ... I work in inches. If you work in millimeters, then this step isn't required
2. Hit the Center Model button
3. Move the slider for Zero Plane Position in Model to the bottom.

Having said that, this particular model is much better done as a 2d model than a 3d model. You'll get a much better result with 2d toolpaths. If you can get them to send you vectors rather than a model you'll be in better shape. The guitar model and other more "3d-ish" models do need to be imported as 3d models.
Steve Godding

mfase731

Post by mfase731 »

I have read a lot of the same responses to go 2D with the scanned data. I have 4 other more complicated parts and am trying to make the supposedly simple one work. I Probably have over 40 hours dedicated to trying to make this work. I appreciate all of your input as the videos aren't getting me there so far.

highpockets
Vectric Wizard

Post by highpockets »

2D or 2.5D that's your choice.

I still don't get what you're having problems doing....
John
Maker of Chips

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

Add me to the confused list. Maybe a step by step breakdown of what you would like to do would help.

The file you attached is a simple 2D job not a 3D job. Starting from an STL is the wrong way to do that particular item but, as has been said, you can use the vector boundary tool to create vectors from it.

If you're wanting to know how to machine a 3D piece that you've imported then you're getting confused over vectors. You don't them need if you want to machine something using 3D toolpaths. Create a 3D roughing and 3D finishing toolpath making sure you have the model selected and Model Boundary set in the toolpath.

ger21
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Custom DIY

Post by ger21 »

OK, so you had a bunch of parts 3D scanned, and received 3D models of them. But you really only needed 2D vectors of them.

As someone mentioned, Aspire can create vectors from the 3D component, but only for the perimeter of the model.

There are a couple ways to get 2D vectors from a 3D object.

You could probe it with 2D probing routines.

You could measure it and draw it by hand. You can scan or photograph it, and then trace the image.
Gerry - http://www.thecncwoodworker.com

mfase731

Post by mfase731 »

Thank you for all of your input thus far. I tried the steps of making it into inches, centering the model and slider to zero. I get a cube shape at this point and lost my 3D view.

dealguy11
Vectric Wizard

Post by dealguy11 »

What dimensions do you have set for the job?
Steve Godding

highpockets
Vectric Wizard

Post by highpockets »

You might want to watch the first part of this tutorial, past point 3 won't apply to VCP

https://support.vectric.com/tutorials/V ... &time=1277
John
Maker of Chips

dealguy11
Vectric Wizard

Post by dealguy11 »

Here's what I did, step by step:

1. Create a new file. File size is 6" x 6" x .75". Set Modeling resolution to "High" (not strictly necessary, but I want the model to come in at decent resolution)
2. On the menubar, click on "File" , then "Import" then "Import Component/3d model", then click on the .stl file
3. In the import screen, you can see that the model size doesn't look sensible - it shows "11.87" for Z thickness, for example. This suggests that it must be importing in millimeters (unless you expect it to be that big). Therefore, click on "Scale mm/inches". Now the thickness is a much more sensible 0.4673". If that's not right either...if you expect it to be 0.5" thick, for example, then type ".5" in the Z height box first making sure the "Lock xyz ratio" button is checked. It will automatically adjust all dimensions in proportion.
4. You can see that the model does not look centered in the material block. Therefore, click on "Center Model" to center it in the block.
5. Now it has set the zero position in the model to the center. Set it to the bottom using the slider
6. Make sure that "Create both sides" and "Discard data below zero plane" are NOT checked
7. Click "OK"

You should now have a model to work with. This is a component, not a vector at this point. A component is essentially a height map of the surface of the component. It can be cut using carving toolpaths (the 3d Roughing Toolpath and the 3d Carving Toolpath). However, that will almost certainly not result in a very nice cut, because there are a lot of vertical surfaces on this component and those don't carve well using carving toolpaths.

To get vectors (which are strictly 2d entities in Vectric products), first select the component, then select the "Create vector boundary around selected components" tool. Now you have a reasonably nice set of vectors that you can use for pocketing, drilling and profiling to get the shape. This will result in a much nicer cut, because the vertical edges are being automatically addressed by the edges of the end mills and drill you will use.
Steve Godding

adze_cnc
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: AXYZ 4008

Post by adze_cnc »

mfase731:

You didn't mention that you had a STEP file (.stp). The vectors attached below were extracted from that file in less than 30 seconds from Rhinoceros.

Whoever is doing the scans for you should have the capability of providing you with vector files for those objects that are not truly 3D. If one can export an .stp as the one in your ZIP file one's software should be able to convert to vectors.

You will not need to do all the component to vectors rigmarole that has been suggested here.

By the way that STL file has about 224 thousand polygons. For something that is only 124mm (I presume that it is in millimetres) long that is quite excessive. I reduced it to 1,000 polygons and it looks OK at 50k vs 10.926k file size.
badge_vectors.zip
AutoCAD DWG file of badge vectors only in millimetres.
(10.96 KiB) Downloaded 83 times

mfase731

Post by mfase731 »

I Talked to my scanning source and he had no idea what a vector was. Finally just scanned part on copy machine and imported it. Even then it has been a struggle getting to where I finely can cut a part. I have been on CNC machines since 1983 and have never encountered software that is so outlandishly difficult to deal with. example, a G81 x y z depth r plane for rapid to and continue on. here you have to answer a bunch of variables etc.