tool error message on engraving toolpaths

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
CRW
Model of CNC Machine: Laguna Smarshop 2 SUV

tool error message on engraving toolpaths

Post by CRW »

When I engraving toolpath the selected vectors at 1/8" deep I get an error message that says "check tool can fit into selected vectors at machining depth". I can toolpath it without an error with a 1/4" 60 degree v-bit but not with a 1/4" 30 degree w/1/16" flat on the bottom. It seems to me that the 30 degree bit should be smaller and should have less problems with fitting in those vectors than a 60 degree v-bit would??? I also tried toolpathing it at a depth of .001 just to see if it would allow it, but it didn't. I attached a screen shot of the error message and the file of the job. Any help on this would be greatly appreciated!

Thank You in advance,
CRW
Attachments
Error vcarve.JPG
Cross Personalized Brexson.crv
(1.27 MiB) Downloaded 70 times

gkas
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Aspire, Axiom AR8 Pro+, Axiom 4.2W Laser

Re: tool error message on engraving toolpaths

Post by gkas »

I tried it in Aspire and had no problem. Everything carved fine.

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

The stroke width (0.04 on average) of the letters is narrower than the flat spot (0.0625) on the bit you want to use so there's no way the tool can fit in the vectors that define the shape of the letters.

gkas, the file has the 60 degree toolpaths in it which work rather than the 30 degree, flat tip ones which don't.

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Post by martin54 »

While the 30 deg bit is obviously a smaller angle it has a flat at the bottom which the 60 deg bit does not have. Its the flat that is causing the error message not the angle of the bit.

CRW
Model of CNC Machine: Laguna Smarshop 2 SUV

Post by CRW »

Got it, makes complete sense when explained to me....feeling a little dumb over here! :? :)
Thanks for all the quick responses and help! Very much appreciated! Have a great day!
CRW