Set Origin to 3D Model

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
FastFarmer
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: BF-30 mill and 360 x 100 lathe

Set Origin to 3D Model

Post by FastFarmer »

Except for rotary wrapping I hardly use Vectric anymore; and with the latest update on offer I have been debating why not, and if I will continue with Vectric?

I think my main issue as to why I put VCarve on the shelf is the inability to select various points of the 3D model (such as an edge or circle centre) as the origin. Is this the case or I dont know what I'm talking about?

I use this feature in other CAMs constantly for multisided machining of complex shapes and often for modification to existing parts.

Thanks

IslaWW
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CNC Controller Upgrades

Re: Set Origin to 3D Model

Post by IslaWW »

" Is this the case or I dont know what I'm talking about?"

Mostly. The "Use Offset" checkbox and X & Y value boxes will allow you to set the XY offset anywhere on the material that you wish.
Gary Campbell
GCnC Control
ATC & Servo Controller Controller Upgrades
GCnC411 (at) gmail.com

ger21
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Custom DIY

Post by ger21 »

That's really not what he's asking. I think he wants to be able to click a point on the model and set that point as the origin.

This wouldn't work with any degree of accuracy in any Vectric products, as once the model has been imported, it no longer contains any points or edges. It's basically just pixels with height values,
Gerry - http://www.thecncwoodworker.com

IslaWW
Vectric Wizard

Post by IslaWW »

Gerry...
I must have misunderstood since he called out an edge or center of a circle. Setting the origin to either should be relatively easy
Gary Campbell
GCnC Control
GCnC411 (at) gmail.com

ger21
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Custom DIY

Post by ger21 »

Maybe I read it wrong as well. I'm in a camper on the lake right now,so probably not paying close enough attention....
Gerry - http://www.thecncwoodworker.com

FastFarmer
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: BF-30 mill and 360 x 100 lathe

Post by FastFarmer »

ger21 wrote:Maybe I read it wrong as well. I'm in a camper on the lake right now,so probably not paying close enough attention....
Gerry, you read correctly.

Offsets dont work because once you move the part your reference point (the stock) is gone. But assume you are doing a simple 2 sided machining, then this type of machining requires accuracy in the stock and not the model, which is far from ideal...

For example if you cut a hole for a bearing and you flipped the part to machine the other side, aligning the machining and fitment to the bearing hole is needed and not to the edge of the stock. The edge of the stock simply isn't accurate enough.

Your comment regarding pixels is a very good point.

I think we've had this discussion before and you mentioned trailers and ferrari cars! lol.

Cheers!

IslaWW
Vectric Wizard

Post by IslaWW »

I agree. If you are working with 3D models of "engineering type" parts with high tolerance rather than artistic or relief parts, there is no reason to even import them into Vectric products for machining unless they include 2D vectors. They simply will not machine properly. Stay with the higher end machining type CAM products.
Gary Campbell
GCnC Control
GCnC411 (at) gmail.com