Need help asap please

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
tankerzuke
Model of CNC Machine: Shark HD4

Need help asap please

Post by tankerzuke »

So I'm doing an inlay on a cheese board and I usually cut off the male section with my bandsaw but this time it's just slightly to big and don't fit. The tutorial I learned from mentions that one of the guys uses his cnc and a .5 inch em to eat it away.

I have tried several ways to configure the vector to for this to use a pocket footpath but it always leaves an open vector and the whole thing is ignored! Is there a good tutorial for this or could someone please simplify some instruction? Lol I'm still learning all the ins and outs.

This has to be done today though so I'm kinda in a jam!

Thanks
Zuke

ger21
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Custom DIY

Re: Need help asap please

Post by ger21 »

Draw a rectangle over the inlay, and use that for your pocket toolpath.
Gerry - http://www.thecncwoodworker.com

tankerzuke

Post by tankerzuke »

Thanks but that is still confusing, how is it going to go back and forth to eat away the wood with a single rectangle? Don't you need multiple lines to tell it to go up then back and so on?

ger21
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Custom DIY

Post by ger21 »

The pocket toolpath does that for you.
Gerry - http://www.thecncwoodworker.com

tankerzuke

Post by tankerzuke »

Thanks! It's working great

laflippin
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Axiom AR 8 Pro+

Post by laflippin »

This suggestion may be too late to help the OP; however, I have also run up against the problem of removing waste backing from large inlays. My bandsaw is a small, cheap one...usable sawing width is only about 4 1/2 " (Grrrrrrrrrrr). Rather than buy a new, expensive bandsaw (which still would have limitations on the width of material I could feed through it) I decided to try using a reciprocal saw with easily obtainable 12" blades. That essentially worked, except (as anyone who has used one will appreciate) it is very hard to keep the saw steady enough to keep from scarring up the workpiece surface.

The solution is dirt simple...I bought some thin 1" wide aluminum strips and clamp those to the workpiece surface on both sides of the inlay backing. Then I simply keep the reciprocating saw blade flush to the metal strips as I cut off the inlay backing. It goes quickly and the saw blade never touches the workpiece surface.

Although I haven't needed to try it yet, in theory this simple method could also be used with a large hand-saw to safely and cleanly remove the inlay backing from very large workpieces.

scottp55
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: ShopbotDesktop 5.5"Z/spindle/VCP11.5

Post by scottp55 »

Hmm...Never thought of it before this, but my flexible trim saw would probably work well on small VInlays;
http://www.leevalley.com/us/wood/page.aspx?p=32928
I LOVE using it on tabs :)
I'll have try it:)
Thanks,
scott
OH...I have both, but use the single edge almost exclusively.
I've learned my lesson well. You can't please everyone,so you have to please yourself
R.N.