DXF problems (sometimes).........

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
Doug98105
Model of CNC Machine: Centroid knee mill with 4th axis

DXF problems (sometimes).........

Post by Doug98105 »

Hi all,

New to Vcarve, but many years CNC'ing and CAD/CAM. I purchased Vcarve because it's easier and quicker to perform certain functions than in my higher end CAD/CAM software.

What I notice is Vcarve many times finds errors in imported DXF files I created in other CAD systems. These same files usually work fine when imported into other CAM software.

Does Vectric offer any utilities to correct "errors" in DXF files? I've also noted a few of my DXF files that import and cut in flat layouts will only partially cut when projected onto a dome surface.

These error issues with some DXF files don't stop me from doing what I want to accomplish. I can still accomplish the project by using another CAM system, but that defeats the purpose of owning Vcarve with its ease of use.

IslaWW
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CNC Controller Upgrades

Re: DXF problems (sometimes).........

Post by IslaWW »

Doug...
Yes there is a way, and Gerry G has set me up with some good info for my classes. Look over the attached PDF

Vectric CAD Import.pdf
(1.17 MiB) Downloaded 150 times
Gary Campbell
GCnC Control
ATC & Servo Controller Controller Upgrades
GCnC411 (at) gmail.com

ger21
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Custom DIY

Post by ger21 »

Since you didn't say what the "errors" are, it's very difficult to answer.

But here's my guess.
Every CAD and CAM program supports only a portion of the .dxf file format. And many don't strictly follow the format.
Because of this, some programs will save entities differently than others, and some may not be able to read entities written by others.

If your CAD program gives you multiple .dxf versions to choose from, I always recommend using the oldest version available, as those tend to be more universal.

If you can post a .dxf that doesn't work, I can take a look at it and see if I can see the reason.
Gerry - http://www.thecncwoodworker.com

LittleGreyMan
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 3 axis small size machine

Post by LittleGreyMan »

Thanks for that pdf, Gary.

Fit Curves to Vectors is an important step that may not be obvious for beginners: it lighten the Vectric files and the toolpath files. It may have huge effects on machining as some CNC controllers may nearly stall when there is a lot of points. And dxf "curves" can be made of a huge number of segments. So the controller can't handle properly the speed. I already had burnt wood edges with a dxf I forgot to simplify with Fit Curves to Vectors.

Another trick: for those who don't want to install a CAD, IIRC you can open a dxf with LibreOffice, make some modifications and then export it as a pdf.
Best regards

Didier

W7 - Aspire 8.517