One more time... Desktop Vs Pro

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
zeighty
Model of CNC Machine: Piranha XL

One more time... Desktop Vs Pro

Post by zeighty »

First, I did do a search on the forums for this topic and I read almost all of the replies. I have read the s/w overviews. I just read on the site about sign making near the bottom of this page: https://www.vectric.com/applications/signmaking.html
"The other Vectric products and the Desktop editions do not have specific relevance to sign makers but may be useful for other tasks on your Router."

So, what benefit, other than maximum part size of 24"x24, of Pro vs. Desktop when it comes to sign making? In fact, from the comparison sheet and the table on the website, I just don't get the difference for the price difference. Here is more of what I read:
  • Work on parts larger than 24"x24" (600mm x 600mm)
    True Shape Nesting for material optimization
    Toolpath Templates
    Merge Toolpaths
    Array Copy Toolpath
    Job Setup Sheets - I think I have those in Desktop
    Gadget (scripting) support
    Rotary Axis (Wrapping)
I do not know what I don't know. Are the above listed features beneficial to a sign maker? I am especially curious of those I have in Bold text.

I am trying to streamline my process and any help anyone is willing to share would be very much appreciated.

FixitMike
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Shark Pro Plus (retired)

Re: One more time... Desktop Vs Pro

Post by FixitMike »

Have you downloaded a trial copy of VCarve and read the Help-Help contents? It explains how each of the items you are asking about works in detail. Also, keep in mind that you can buy Desktop and upgrade to Pro for the difference in price if you find you want the features. There is no $ risk.
Good judgement comes from experience.
Experience comes from bad judgement.

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

It's all down to how you want to work. For me those items are incredibly useful every day but I don't make signs. Even if I did they would still be useful to me due to the way I like to work. I can easily imagine that there are many people making signs who rarely if ever use those features though.

They are primarily features that streamline the workflow and make it more efficient so if that's important to you then you would definitely need them As Mike says they're all covered in the Help contents and in the support videos at support.vectric.com

IslaWW
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CNC Controller Upgrades

Post by IslaWW »

zeighty..
I am with you. In the last 10 years I would not have used one of the (non size related) options if I were not making a demo or a slide for a training class. If you do find you would need them, there is no time or dollar penalty for getting desktop first and then upgrading.
Gary Campbell
GCnC Control
ATC & Servo Controller Controller Upgrades
GCnC411 (at) gmail.com

dealguy11
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Anderson Selexx 510,24x48 GCnC/WinCNC

Post by dealguy11 »

You can do without them, but personally I find true-shape nesting (for odd shaped parts) and toolpath templates to be extremely helpful. Toolpath templates allow you to define a standard set of toolpaths, including tools, speeds, feeds and toolpath options, that you can use over and over again, job to job. A real timesaver for a production shop.

I don't really use the array copy toolpath, but I can see its value is certain situations where you are making the same sign over and over. I do use merge toolpaths from time to time to optimize tool changes.
Steve Godding
Not all who wander (or wonder) are lost

Leo
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 1300 x 1300 x 254 Chinese Made

Post by Leo »

It is a question only you can answer.

Sign making is a vague term, as there are many many different kinds of signs. There are 3D dimensional signs that can be really complex.

I don't see much difference between the two. I don't use the nesting all that much and when I do nest, I manually rearrange anyway.

The big one is 24x24 limitation.

I made a dimensional sign one time on my 24 x 24 machine that was 96" long and it worked out just fine. A 48 x 96 MACHINE would have been nice - that the pro series would have also been nice as well to match the machine.

I use the setup sheets but not for me. I use them on a job I am doing to train another operator in his shop. He needs the setup sheets.

I don't use toolpath templates or any of those features. Others may find those features critical.

The price difference comes down to - what is important to you.
Imagine the Possibilities of a Creative mind, combined with the functionality of CNC

zeighty

Post by zeighty »

Every time I post to this forum I am impressed with the answers I get.

Thanks to all. It is very much appreciated.

For now, until I get more experience, I will hold off on the upgrade. It is a significant amount of money and I just don’t know enough to be sure I would get the benefefits. When I get orders for larger projects it will be a must have.

zeighty

Post by zeighty »

Update:
I just watched the toolpath template video and that one feature is going to make my life so much easier. I will be upgrading soon.
Again, thanks to all that have helped me so much.