Unwrapping is mirrored

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
DVE2000
Model of CNC Machine: CAMaster

Unwrapping is mirrored

Post by DVE2000 »

I've just received a license for VCarve Pro. I tried to create a wrapped tool path from an STL that I created in another CAD package. The imported STL looks fine, until it's unwrapped. It has some text on it that gets mirrored. Now, I know I can mirror the text before creating the STL, but I'm wondering if there's a way to fix this in VCarve. I did try importing the model into the Aspire trial edition, and the same thing happened.
test.jpg

garylmast
Vectric Wizard

Re: Unwrapping is mirrored

Post by garylmast »

I already sent the problem to Vectric Support a few days ago. It happens on the Y-Axis, the X-Axis seems to be okay. Support got back to me a few months ago thinking it was okay, because it worked on the X-Axis, but I haven't got a reaction yet from the resent request. Here a project I done a few days to address the issue:

viewtopic.php?f=29&t=30422

Gary

DVE2000

Post by DVE2000 »

Thanks, Gary!

I'd done a lot of googling to see if anyone else has had this issue. And came up with nothing.

One thing I did find with some posts, and Gerry alluded to it in your post, is that it seems possible to run your lathe backwards and get a mirror effect. Seems like it would be desirable in this case. I don't have my machine yet, so I can't play...

-Gary

garylmast
Vectric Wizard

Post by garylmast »

If you are engraving letters, you can turn your rotary end to end, so the head is to the back of the machine, or you can mirror your letters prior to your toolpaths and engraving. That's what I did on the barrel. If you're importing the 3-D model, the lettering will have to be mirrored on the model prior to import. If you have software to do that, then you can make it work. Until then, it will be a problem until Vectric gets it fixed. This problem is with the Y-Axis, where the rotary is run length-wise to the bed. The X-Axis seems to be okay.

DVE2000

Post by DVE2000 »

I’m getting a CAMaster, so I believe I *have* to wrap the X-axis. Unless I can do Y wrapping and mess with the generated G-code afterwards.

I’m a newbie with VCarve, so I’m still learning. I actually used other software to create the model, so mirroring the letters there would be easy. I can actually create regular toolpaths fine in my learning and playing with CAM. I haven’t been able to successfully create wrapped toolpaths with something like a leg spindle yet though. Finding out I could unwrap a STL leg in VCarve felt like winning the lottery! :p

ger21
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Custom DIY

Post by ger21 »

Depending on the control, reversing the direction of rotation could be as simple as one mouse click, and should fix the backwards test. (Until Vectric does)
Gerry - http://www.thecncwoodworker.com

DVE2000

Post by DVE2000 »

I tried something for yucks. You can start a Wrapped Job Setup with wrapping around the Y-axis. Then import the model and unwrap it. Go back to Job Setup and switch the X and Y values. Then rotate the flattened model 90 degrees. Create the tool paths. You can wrap the X axis around the Y-Axis in tool path viewing and it seems all good. I verified this by writing out the G-code and checking that it only has references to Y, A, and Z while cutting.