tap files

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
tugboat
Model of CNC Machine: shark pirianna

tap files

Post by tugboat »

I recently lost my laptop hard drive and I had to reload a fresh program on to a new laptop. I lost all my files except for a few that are tap files on a thumb drive. how can I reload those onto my new laptop so I can make modifications and save as project files. thanks :cry:

antennasDIY
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Home made

Re: tap files

Post by antennasDIY »

You can't. Tap files are just text G Code and have no similarity to project files.

Barry Anderson
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Shark

Post by Barry Anderson »

Tugboat: I have a fear of the same thing happening to me. I have had some problems with lap tops. Every week or so, I just copy all of my crv and tap files to a thumb drive. Doesn't take but a few minutes and I know I will have the files if needed.

Barry

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

Cloud storage is everywhere these days with Google Drive, OneDrive, Dropbox and many others. I have everything on the cloud and on traditional backups.

It is possible to go from the tap files back to VCarve but it's only really doable for simple profile jobs and there's still a lot of work to get back to usable vectors. More work than doing the job again from scratch in my opinion.

Savannahdan
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Axiom AR8

Post by Savannahdan »

Sometimes you can extract the data from the old harddrive. You would need a harddrive enclosure that will accept the old harddrive. You take the old harddrive stick it in a zip lock bag and squeeze most all of the air out of it and then place it in your freezer. Let it sit in the freezer overnight. Get the enclosure ready for hooking up to the computer you want to dump any data to and then take the old harddrive out of the freezer and install it in the enclosure. I did this a number of years ago and it worked long enough for me to get all of the data I needed. Time can be of the essence so you concentrate your first efforts on getting data and then work on getting programs you may need but don't have install disks or ability to get otherwise. This doesn't work all of the time.

mtylerfl
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: -CarveWright CNC -ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha

Post by mtylerfl »

Savannahdan wrote:You take the old harddrive stick it in a zip lock bag and squeeze most all of the air out of it and then place it in your freezer...
Hmmm...

https://www.gillware.com/blog/data-reco ... very-myth/
Michael Tyler

facebook.com/carvebuddy

-CarveWright CNC
-ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha CNC

LittleGreyMan
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 3 axis small size machine

Post by LittleGreyMan »

Tugboat, I am sorry for you.

1) Recovering your data

You may try installing your HD in an external case and use this free utility:
https://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/PhotoRec

It may be miraculous or totally useless depending on the issue you had.

Only use the freezer trick if nothing else works and if you don't want spending the cost of a professional data rescue as it is a one shot try which will probably definitely kill your disk.

See Michael's link. It may work in a few very specific cases, but generally (I'd say more than 95%) it will obliterate any chance of recovering data. In this case, you have to know first what to recover, where it is on the disk and be very quick.

2) be paranoid

It is the only way of surviving in a digital world.
An IT proverb says there are 2 kind of users: those who already experimented a data loss, and those who will.
There are hundred issues than can cause a data loss: HD failure (they have a limited lifetime!), malware, ransomware, user error, …
The only solution is 1) backup/ 2) backup/ 3) backup.
As Adrian noticed, you may use cloud storage (and be paranoid for other reasons), external drives that you unplug from you PC and store in a safe place, a mix of these solutions. Somebody once detailed his backup strategy (Randall IIRC)

HTH
Best regards

Didier

W7 - Aspire 8.517

Rcnewcomb
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: 24x36 GCnC/WinCNC with ATC

Post by Rcnewcomb »

Somebody once detailed his backup strategy (Randall IIRC)
<Ctrl S>, <Ctrl Alt S>, and Backups
- Randall Newcomb
10 fingers in, 10 fingers out, another good day in the shop

LittleGreyMan
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 3 axis small size machine

Post by LittleGreyMan »

Thanks for providing the link Randall
Best regards

Didier

W7 - Aspire 8.517