Slice a Double Sided Model

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
trex42
Model of CNC Machine: CNC Shark Pro Plus

Slice a Double Sided Model

Post by trex42 »

Is it possible to slice a double sided project?
Is there a tutorial on double sided slicing?

garylmast
Vectric Wizard

Re: Slice a Double Sided Model

Post by garylmast »

Although there are probably a lot a different software out there you can use, I use Netfabb. Not only does it slice, but also repairs. Here's a link for a 30-day free trial.

https://www.autodesk.com/products/netfabb/free-trial

Gary

sseale
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: Probotix Nebula

Post by sseale »

Apart from the Netfabb link did you find out any more on slicing a double sided project? I cant find any Vectric tutorials specific to it.
Would be very useful to have especially for certain 3d models which need to be sliced (for whatever reason - cnc machine z height limitation etc) AND each slice also requires machining from both sides.
Having a hard time with the correct workflow for this (Aspire in my case)

garylmast
Vectric Wizard

Post by garylmast »

I'm not sure about VCarve, but when you import it into Aspire, you can set the amount of slice with the Zero Plane position. If you want more than two slices, create a stl file on one of the halves, then import and slice it again.

Gary
Attachments
Capture.JPG
Capture 2.JPG

garylmast
Vectric Wizard

Post by garylmast »

I remembered there is another way to slice your model. Once you bring it in, use the slice icon to how many or how thick you want each slice. UNCHECK the boxes in the component except for the one you want to export. Then export the visible model as an stl file.

This is how I did a few projects. I still flipped the wood and cut both sides, but before Vectric changed Aspire upgrade for the double sided feature. The link below is a project that had about 17 slices.

Gary

viewtopic.php?f=29&t=25102&p=182655&hilit=eagle#p182655
Attachments
Capture1.JPG

sseale
Vectric Apprentice

Post by sseale »

Thanks Gary. I was playing with the slice tool also...Your approach is the solution I need - to export each slice into it's own new Aspire file for double sided machining.
My mistake was trying to accomplish everything in the original Aspire file which had the full model STL import. Maybe there is still a way using levels/ planes/base height adjustments and correct component selection in the tree etc but not obvious at the moment. Ill get ahead with the export method.

When reassembling the slices post machining - Do you just use the perimeter outline of each adjacent face as your location guide for each layer, or do you add other specific locators like matched dowel holes? Maybe this is overkill? I dont have the experience yet..just wondering how it went for you.
Thanks again.
Scott

garylmast
Vectric Wizard

Post by garylmast »

When reassembling the slices post machining - Do you just use the perimeter outline of each adjacent face as your location guide for each layer, or do you add other specific locators like matched dowel holes? Maybe this is overkill? I dont have the experience yet..just wondering how it went for you.
I labeled each stl file in order to make it easy for reassembly, sometimes cutting one at a time, but depending on the project, I also grouped all or most of the files together to cut at one time (i.e. the picture below), which is seven different slices.

Definitely watch the two-side tutorial. However, I do not like to use the pins or dowels, instead I use a jig, by screwing some scrap wood to my spoilboard and then screw the material to the jig. If the material is thin enough, I will just screw it to the spoilboard. Also, because most of the time the material is a glue-up, I usually have to trim the edges after the glue dries, usually making the material a different size than what I set in the Job set-up. For that reason, I always set the datum in the center of the material. I don't know if it makes a difference, but my preference is always set at the top of the material, in case the material if off by a few thousandths.

If I am cutting several slices at a time, I usually will position them together in Rhino then save them as one file, however, it can be done in Aspire. When you import a model into Aspire, it will automatically setup three levels, TAB, LIMIT PLANES, and MODEL. If you import more than one file, make sure it is under the MODEL LEVEL. When you do your toolpath, under the Select Level, you will want to choose 'Model', where it will only cut items in the Level. Of coarse any tabs, which you'll find under Clipart will be set in the TAB LEVEL. Even if I don't have an undercut, I will set the Limit plane to a Negative few thousands so it will cut through the material, therefore eliminating a profile cut.

After a couple of double-side projects, it will become second nature, where you'll start seeing some areas for shortcuts.

Gary

https://support.vectric.com/tutorials/V ... ideo_id=92
Attachments
Capture1.JPG

sseale
Vectric Apprentice

Post by sseale »

Thanks again Gary.