toolpath (.tcn) files being saved separately with "_0"

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
artistico
Model of CNC Machine: Format 4

toolpath (.tcn) files being saved separately with "_0"

Post by artistico »

when I try to save multiple toolpaths I get a pop up saying "toolpaths were split into multiple output files". I have selected "output all toolpaths to one file but it still does this. Also when I try to replace a file by saving it under the same name, it refuses to replace it and instead saves it with an extension "_0". For example if the file name I am trying to replace is called "profile 1.tcn" it will save it as a completely new file called "profile 1_0.tcn". Please help

Mark
Vectric Staff
Model of CNC Machine: CNC Shark, ShopBot, Roland PNC3000

Re: toolpath (.tcn) files being saved separately with "_0"

Post by Mark »

Hello,

You have not mentioned which post processor you are selecting, but I would imagine that you are using the
"Format4 ATC Arcs (mm) (*.tcn)" post processor.

The post processor that you have selected was written for control software that has a limit on the number of lines
that can be accepted by the control, in one toolpath file. (30000 lines in the case of this post processor).
So to allow the file to be ran, the output is split into two or more toolpath files that can be loaded and ran consecutively on the control.
I have selected "output all toolpaths to one file but it still does this.
Saving all toolpath files to a single output file, would create a larger file and therefore make it more likely that the line limit would be exceeded.

If your particular control does not have a line limitation, you can edit the post processor and comment out the line that reads:
TAPE_SPLITTING = 29700 300 "%s_%d.tcn" 0 "YES"

This will stop the post processor splitting the output into a number of files.

You can comment out this instruction by placing a ‘+’ character or a ‘|’ character at the beginning of the line.

Further details of both commenting out lines and the Tape Splitting feature of the post processor can be found in the
Post Processor Editing Guide, available from the "Help" menu item of the main menu bar of the application.

I hope that this helps, but if you have any further questions, please let me know.