Project opinions

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
Xxray
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CAMaster Stinger 1

Project opinions

Post by Xxray »

Have hatched this one in my brain, would be the 1st v-inlay in quite a while for me. Am planning on using walnut as the backing and poplar for the male part. Will be a sweet chunk of walnut so I'm doing my best not to botch it.
Will be about 11x11 or so.
Looking for critical opinions of the design, thing that jumps out the most to me is the saw, doesn't look right and looks kinda plain, something for sure is missing in the grip so I'll have to work on that. Might make the saw blade outline a bit wider ,,, Not sure about the stars, added them on a whim but I think the design would look a bit plain without them ,,But there really is no good reason for them to be there.

Lettering I like, same kind of font they use on many of their tshirts. It looks busy enough, don't think I'll add anything else. I want to showcase the ability of the inlay without going overboard. Obviously, this is for a union carpenters local of which I am a member, inlay would be a donation to the hall [to hang there and hopefully drum up some business].

Any ideas/thoughts welcome, good bad or ugly.
Attachments
Untitled.jpg
Doug

mark-s
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: diy 4 X 4 CNC Router

Re: Project opinions

Post by mark-s »

As a retired carpenter of 40 years. Local 547 San Diego, CA.
I offer this if you`d like a vector of it, PM me your email.
mark-s
HAND SAW.jpg

LittleGreyMan
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 3 axis small size machine

Post by LittleGreyMan »

Xxray wrote:Not sure about the stars, added them on a whim but I think the design would look a bit plain without them ,,But there really is no good reason for them to be there.
Of course there is one: it has been designed by a star of this forum :D

Mark's suggestion for the saw looks better. And having just a profile for the saw is not coherent with the hammers.

Everything else is OK for me.
Best regards

Didier

W7 - Aspire 8.517

Xxray
Vectric Wizard

Post by Xxray »

Thanks Mark, alot better than mine - I still got some years left in the field, I'm at a good point where I am really enjoying my work. Do many different things at many places with many people. There are alot of pains at times on union jobs, but I do like the sense of brotherhood.

LGM, you are too kind. Stars do of course add an abstract sense of national pride I guess, but everything on a sign is supposed to have a meaning - I think a pro sign guy would ask me "Specifically, why are there 2 sets of 4 stars each ? What do the represent ? What are they for ?'
I wouldn't have an answer, just filling up blank space really. I thought about putting some nails there but I'm thinking it would look awkward [plus nails are kinda old school these days]

Design still in prototype, even toolpath settings used for the preview are not the ones I'll actually use, but close enough for a ballpark estimate of what it will look like.
Attachments
Untitled2.jpg
Doug

Xxray
Vectric Wizard

Post by Xxray »

Ok got rid of the floating, pointless 4th stars, for no reason in particular I like it better and makes more sense - At least they are in line with the lettering now.
[And yes, noticed the right set is slightly higher than the left]
Attachments
Untitled22.jpg
Doug

LittleGreyMan
Vectric Wizard

Post by LittleGreyMan »

Doug, may I suggest to flip the saw so it draws a bottom left to up right line?

In our occidental culture, it is read as an ascending line, much more positive (just think of your bank account curve).

Everything else is OK for me. Please poste some pictures once you've machined it.

By the way, you US guys are putting stars everywhere. Why does it bother your here? :D

If they ask, just tell the guys that's because they are the stars of their business!
Best regards

Didier

W7 - Aspire 8.517

dwilli9013
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 3 axis Self Designed Self Built

Post by dwilli9013 »

Doug,
I agree with LGM on the flip of the saw to be ascending. The stars are a good representation of the American Union Pride.
So here's my nit picking for what it is worth. On the hammers at first glance the claws are too close together. (a quick glance gives it a ribbon of hope look) :P
I would rotate each hammer by maybe 5 degrees to put a gap in between the claws.
Only other thing that catches my eye is the number 6. It looks as though the loop crosses over leaving a slight bump on the left side of the downstroke.
Err regardless of anyones comments or suggestions I am sure it will be well received at the hall.
I recall seeing some edgelit union plaques you did a while back. This one will get just as much attention I am sure. Plus its a good conversation sparker down at the hall. That would hold even more weight with a hall full of carpenters.
Be sure and post the final product. It will be interesting to see the inlay contrast.
D-Dub
Dwayne
Dwilli

FixitMike
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Shark Pro Plus (retired)

Post by FixitMike »

I would change the thickness of either the lettering strokes or the blade outline. As it is, my eyes think the outline is letters and it confuses me for a moment.
Good judgement comes from experience.
Experience comes from bad judgement.

Leo
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 1300 x 1300 x 254 Chinese Made

Post by Leo »

I would use Maple instead of Poplar. It's just all around better.
Imagine the Possibilities of a Creative mind, combined with the functionality of CNC

Xxray
Vectric Wizard

Post by Xxray »

Thanks for all the suggestions, always like to hear from fellow nit pickers - Always good to get a few keen eyes on a project before starting.
Not in a rush to start, will probably do it early this coming week. Since its been a while since I have done an inlay, will also browse the massive vinlay thread to refresh.

I saved a few successful inlay files, I think I'll just open them and delete everything, then paste my new design in and apply the same toolpaths.

Maple is nice, I have some on hand. I want a real good contrast though, and poplar will provide that - In fact, I'll be using wood from the same slab at this one, and this one turned out great.
Attachments
hwm.jpg
Doug

dwilli9013
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 3 axis Self Designed Self Built

Post by dwilli9013 »

Xxray wrote:Thanks for all the suggestions, always like to hear from fellow nit pickers - Always good to get a few keen eyes on a project before starting.
Not in a rush to start, will probably do it early this coming week. Since its been a while since I have done an inlay, will also browse the massive vinlay thread to refresh.

I saved a few successful inlay files, I think I'll just open them and delete everything, then paste my new design in and apply the same toolpaths.

Maple is nice, I have some on hand. I want a real good contrast though, and poplar will provide that - In fact, I'll be using wood from the same slab at this one, and this one turned out great.
Agree the contrast on that one is nice. When it comes down to the brass tacks the craftsman always has the last say. On my pieces that I do for other people even if its a paying job if my eye doesn't like it then it will not leave my shop. Selfish? Maybe but if my name is attached to it then it will meet my standards. And the benefit for me and my line of thinking is this is not my lifeline it is a release and relaxation that I totally enjoy. When I stop enjoying it then its time to move on.
Keep doing what you do Doug I enjoy seeing your work and hearing you play on how it was created or what you think is wrong with it. I learn either way and as long as I am learning I am not dying. :lol: :lol: :lol:
D-Dub
Dwayne
Dwilli

Mikehell
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: eBay special China 3040

Post by Mikehell »

Looks good, If it was me, I'd use a different font. That one looks too much like Conic Sans (or is it?)

tomgardiner
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: FMT Patriot 4 x8

Post by tomgardiner »

Now that you have a better saw image I think it would be better to find a less "cartoonish" hammer. I second the suggestion of a crisper font.

LittleGreyMan
Vectric Wizard

Post by LittleGreyMan »

Mikehell wrote:Looks good, If it was me, I'd use a different font. That one looks too much like Conic Sans (or is it?)
I hate Comic sans and this ugly font should never be used for texts and official or serious documents.

But in this case, it't not a text but a simple title, so it's fine for me. And it's already used by these guys:
Xxray wrote:Lettering I like, same kind of font they use on many of their tshirts.
But don't dare use Comic sans again:

http://www.comicsanscriminal.com/

Doug, you'd better cut this quickly before have so many advices you won't know anymore what to do! :D
Best regards

Didier

W7 - Aspire 8.517

Xxray
Vectric Wizard

Post by Xxray »

The font is "one stroke script LET", I use it not because I am personally fond of it but because the local has used it before on tshirts, stickers and other merchandise.
I'd probably go with times new roman, which I believe is what the UBC is.

Hammers, I dunno, just going for a silouette and not detail, I'd be open to specific suggestions [ie: a better jpg] but I am happy with them to covey a decent impression of one of the main tools of the trade.

I got the wood picked out and the design near finalized, hopefully will have a success to post shortly.
Doug